Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP VICTUS 16-e0307nd
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello,

I purchased my HP Victus 16-e0307nd this past February. Up until now I had no issues playing games on it, but recently it has been crashing during gameplay. This has mainly occurred with the Terra Nil demo but has also happened with the Reefland demo twice. I am not a computer wiz, but here is what I have tried to fix the issue:

- When the crash happens with Terra  Nil and I restart my laptop, there was a period of time where that would reset my NVIDIA driver update to 'not updated' even though I had just updated it that day. The way to fix this was to restart the laptop until the driver was marked as 'up to date' as otherwise the driver update did not let me install it again. This has not happened the last two times I attempted to play Terra Nil, not sure why.

- I turned off the automatic restart when crashing in an attempt to read and look into error messages, however, when the crash occurs there is no error message at all, everything just freezes and I have to force a shutdown.

- Updating all drivers and updating Microsoft  - the Terra Nil demo still crashed.

- Since there were no error messages I thought it could be that the temperature of the CPU or GPU was getting too high and forcing a crash. I used the HWMonitor Pro app to try and monitor this. However, only the GPU temperature was displayed and I found it got to about 65ºC before the crash would happen. I tried to monitor the CPU temperature  but it didn't show up in the app, I tried uninstalling Valorant and anything Riot games and Vanguard related and restarting my computer, but that did not work. Other apps did not show me the CPU temperature either.

- I thought about opening up my laptop to clean up the fan system, but I don't think that that could be the issue since my laptop is almost new (and also I'm scared I will mess something up).

If anyone has any ideas on what the issue could be or how I could try to figure out I am all ears! Thank you in advance for any help!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi@Emma404,

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I'd like to help!

I see you are experiencing issues with the HP Victus Notebook crashing during games. I apologize for the Inconvenience.  

I have a few recommendations 

• Update your Notebook computer to latest BIOS from HP.COM.
  • Make sure the Windows and HP support assistant updates are up to date. 
  • Try doing Reset PC Keep my files from windows and check if it works.
  • Run HP PC Hardware Diagnostics is a Windows-based utility that allows you to run diagnostic tests to determine whether the computer hardware is functioning properly. The tool runs within the Windows operating system in order to diagnose hardware failures. 

For any hardware issue or repair please click on the link Phone Assist Worldwide

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have tried updating everything and running hardware diagnostics, but the updating didn't solve the issue and the troubleshooting could not run (upon opening HP PC Hardware Diagnostics I get a window that says 'Microsoft Edge can't read and write to its data directory' and when I click okay that goes away but the diagnostics window is just blank and nothing happens). Do you have any ideas what else could be causing the crashes or how I can run diagnostics?

Thank you!

HP Recommended

@Emma404

Thank you for posting back. 

Have you tried a different internet browser apart from MS Edge? If not, I would suggest please try with an alternate browser such as Google Chrome or Opera mini or Internet Explorer browser. 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.