Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 15-dc1017nc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I noticed that my laptop is beeing too loud and sometimes really hot even though the fans are spinning like crazy. I used HP omen center and another software (HwInfo, HWmonitor) to check the temperatures of the CPU both showed the same temperatures - 98°C and I know that intel processors should be ok to 100°C and I was looking through internet what are normal temperatures of Omen laptop at high usage and it is something between 70 - 80 °C but mine is almost 20 °C higher although the fans are spinning like crazy (nothing blocks the airflow and the laptop is on the table) and the laptop is really loud. Sometimes even when nothing is running the CPU has temperature of 70 °C which is really high. Is this normal or should I return it to the seller?

Thanks in advance for any help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. So I managed to repair the problem... but I need answers why does it work like this. In the power slider I set it to "better performance" instead of "best performance" and in power options in advanced power setting I set the max processor state to 99 % instead of 100 % and it solved my problem. I downloaded afterburner by MSI to save graphs of my CPU temperatures. Before fix, temperatures were spiking to 99 °C randomly and the temperatures weren't constant and they were really weird and the computer acted slow. Now, idle temperature of CPU is constantly 40 °C which is absolutely perfect, while gaming CPU has 70 °C constantly. The computer is quiet and the fans are barely spinning. So my problem is solved, but can somebody explain me why does it work like that? By the way, I updated BIOS through "HP support assistant" program right away when I opened the laptop and there are no newer updates and I downloaded "NVIDIA GeForce experience" and have the latest graphic drivers as well. But I don't think the graphic drivers would be the issue anyway because it was only related to CPU not GPU, the GPU temperatures were OK.

It is a problem with my power plan settings or bios setting or is it widely known? I now can't set the slider to best performance because the laptop would act horribly, I don't need it but I want to know why as an IT. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Paulie_Shadow

I appreciate your expertise in diagnosing this issue.Yes the temperature seems quite high.

I suggest you update the BIOS and the Graphics Card driver from this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers and let me know how it goes 

Also use the Task Manager in Windows to check if any particular programs or Apps are causing the CPU to overwork

You can refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01007591

Keep me posted 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. So I managed to repair the problem... but I need answers why does it work like this. In the power slider I set it to "better performance" instead of "best performance" and in power options in advanced power setting I set the max processor state to 99 % instead of 100 % and it solved my problem. I downloaded afterburner by MSI to save graphs of my CPU temperatures. Before fix, temperatures were spiking to 99 °C randomly and the temperatures weren't constant and they were really weird and the computer acted slow. Now, idle temperature of CPU is constantly 40 °C which is absolutely perfect, while gaming CPU has 70 °C constantly. The computer is quiet and the fans are barely spinning. So my problem is solved, but can somebody explain me why does it work like that? By the way, I updated BIOS through "HP support assistant" program right away when I opened the laptop and there are no newer updates and I downloaded "NVIDIA GeForce experience" and have the latest graphic drivers as well. But I don't think the graphic drivers would be the issue anyway because it was only related to CPU not GPU, the GPU temperatures were OK.

It is a problem with my power plan settings or bios setting or is it widely known? I now can't set the slider to best performance because the laptop would act horribly, I don't need it but I want to know why as an IT. 

HP Recommended

@Paulie_Shadow

As you rightly mentioned the issue was with the BIOS and not necessarily the Graphics drivers.

Sometimes an outdated or corrupted BIOS might prevent the hardware from operating as design and thus you end up with overheating issues which in turn leads to sluggishness of the device

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.