Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have an OMEN HP notebook, and I've been trying to change my audio controller from the Bang & Olufsen one that comes with the notebook to the Realtek HD Audio Manager. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Realtek drivers, disabling the Realtek High Definition Audio at the Device Manager but nothing seems to work.

Basically, what I want is to change this:

bang olufsen.jpg

for this:

img_58e60d67738d7.jpg

I've tried everything and nothing seems to work. Why is this so hard? I'd really appreciate if someone could give me a hand with this.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Greetings @DalaiLhama,

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are looking to change the audio driver on your computer, is that right?

Will be glad to assist you. 

May I know the reason to change the audio driver?

Are you facing an issue with the audio on your computer?

May I know the exact product number of your computer? Click here. Please do not share the serial number of your computer.

You will need to use the driver of the audio card installed on the computer. 

If you use a different audio driver or a driver of a different card, it may not work with your computer. 

If you are facing any audio issues on your computer, please try the steps suggested in this HP Article

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and providing more information. 

Recommend you uninstall both the audio managers. 

Install only the Realtek HP Audio manager and check if it works. 

If not, please install Bang and Olufsen from the recovery manager and use it with your computer. Click here

Your computer is only tested on Bang and Olufsen audio control. 

Audio manager includes the audio driver as well. 

Disclaimer: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty and performance. You can change the configuration at your own risk.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Chimney_83, thanks fo replying once more.

You see, the problem is that I cannot find the option to install or uninstall the audio managers. I cannot find a way to uninstall the Bang & Olufsen audio manager, it doesn't show up in 'Programs and Features'. Also, I cannot find a way to install the Realtek HD audio manager alone, it seems to be part of the Realtek HD driver, but when I uninstall and then reinstall the Realtek HD driver it also installs the Bang & Olufsen audio manager automatically, without even asking me if I want it or not.

I know that the Bang & Olufsen manager is the standard for my computer, but I presume it won't be a problem to switch it for the Realtek one.

Thanks for the attention!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, if it is not listed in programs and features you can uninstall it from device manager and try. 

Keep me posted. Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

@Chimney_83, I cannot find the audio managers in the Device Manager, only the driver itself, and as I said, when I uninstall and reinstall the driver it installs the Bang & Olufsen manager again.

HP Recommended

@mdklassen, thanks for trying to help but the link you shared is a solution for doing the exact opposite of what I want to do. As you can see, I've even replied to that post, asking how to do the opposite.

HP Recommended

Hi

HP sometimes specifies the audio codec and associated hardware on the motherboard. For example: Realtek Audio CODEC: ALC888S.

You can then go to Realtek to find the driver and Realtek audio software that will work with that Realtek ALC888S codec. The drivers and audio manager software are bundled together.

You need to know what Realtek audio chipset (CODEC) is installed on your motherboard.

In your case HP does not provide the Realtek audio codec or hardware ID. You can check device manager for the hardware ID but HP may have modified it.

It may not be possible to install the Realtek Audio Manager software if HP has modified the hardware ID.

I guess there is usually a way to hack something like this but I am not aware of how you would do this in this instance.

Tom

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.