Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp OMEN 15-dh0000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

A while back I bought a Omen Gaming laptop and i'm having some issue's.

Details:

Hp OMEN 15-dh0xxx

16GB RAM

Intel I7-9750H 2.6Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2060, 6GB

512GB SSD

1TB HDD

When playing games, editing videos, or doing any other task I noticed a severe drop in performance when unplugging my charger.

I know that using a laptop on the battery is always slower then when plugged in but the difference is way to extreme.

I did some benchmarks to confirm this:

On battery: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/22500813

On charger: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/22500959

The drop in performance i see is off the charts, it makes this 1800€ more useless than a 300€ laptop as soon as i unplug the charger.

When playing games (for example witcher on max settings) i can play on 60fps without any issue, i unplug the charger and it drops to 2fps.

I've updated all my drivers, manually and with the intel driver manager. (including bios). I've changed my power management settings to performance on max even on battery, but i notice no difference.

I've played around with the Nvidea settings, but no change there either.

Even with this bad performance the battery doesn't last too long, however i was aware of the short battery life on the laptop before i bought it, but i expected it to perform acceptable.

I'm out of ideas and don't know what to do about this.

Kind regards.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@EbenL Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing an issue with omen laptop performance.

HP Will does not recommend third party software to check the performance. That will not be accurate.

I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution; 

When was the last time it worked without these issues (date)? 

Which games are causing these issues and are they online games or installed on your PC? 

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on HP Forums? 

In the meantime, you may try the below steps, as even if the game is compatible with your system hardware it may have a slow performance because you are using the windows 8, 8.1 or 10 as the OS uses most of the CPU & graphics card usage, you might want to reduce the visual effects for windows to save the amount of CPU & Graphics card usage required to run your game properly. 

  

Here's how you do it: 

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings. 

• Type performance > choose to Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.  

• In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance. 

• Click Apply and ok...this should do the trick. 

If the issue persists, The best way to resolve the issue is to follow the suggestions of the HP Guided Troubleshooter:  

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern). 

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS. 
(by the end of this document, all the issues should be resolved) 

let me know how that pans out,

And the answer to the above question will help me, help you!

Keep me posted, and if any of the above questionnaires helped resolve the issue, 

Mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".

Good luck.

HP Recommended

The third party software just shows me how well my laptop performs in a benchmark test.I only did the bennchmark test to see how bad the situation really was. I already noticed it wasn't performing like it should. And the fps drop the benchmark test indicated seems to be correct when i compare it to the experience i have when playing games.

That aside, the hp software i have present on my computer tells me everything is fine, and that there are no problems, while there most certainly are problems.

Now to answer your questions.

When was the last time it worked without these issues (date)? 

Never, it has been like this from the start, my laptop is only a few months old. Sadly i can't miss it because i need it for my work.

(video editing, 3D modelling and rendering, graphic work, etc)

Which games are causing these issues and are they online games or installed on your PC? 

It's not the games causing the issues, they work perfect when the charger is plugged in.

But to answer your question, all of them. Both online games as offline games installed on my PC.

some of the games i play:

Runescape, the wither 3, Resident evil 2, Total war Attila, Total war Rome 2, Nuclear throne, Minecraft, Insurgency, Terraria.

It doesn't really matter which game it is. If the charger is unplugged even Minecraft is unplayable (on the lowest settings), en has a fps of 5-8.

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on HP Forums? 

Yes:

1. I've tried changing my powermanagement settings on battery to maximum performance on everything.

2. I've tried uninstalling my Battery drivers and reinstalling them.

3. I've tried cleaning out my disk.

4. I've tried all combinations in the Omen Command center settings.

5. Checking for problems on my disks

6. tried different combination in the Nvidia control panel settings.

7. updating all my drivers (including my BIOS)

8. checking for virus/malware

9. Factory reset

None of the things i tried worked, that's when i turned to the HP forum.

I understand that Windows requires power from the CPU & GPU to run it's visual effects. 

But the hardware in my laptop is a I7-9750H CPU and a RTX 2060 graphics card, these should be more than capable to run high end games in max settings, even while running windows in the background.

A friend of mine has a different laptop, but with the same specs.

Same RAM, GPU, CPU, and SSD. He can run his games smoothly even on battery.

He also experiences a fps drop when gaming without a charger. But more like going from 80fps to 60fps, while on my laptop is goes from 80fps on charger to 4fps on battery. 

Are there more reports of the Omen laptops having this issue? This seems extremely problematic.

It's not only while gaming that the problems occur. Even while just surfing the web or using facebook i notice he's pretty slow on battery. I really can't believe thats normal for a laptop with these high end specs.

HP Recommended

@EbenL

Thank you for the information.

I understand your concerns.

As you have tried all possible troubleshooting steps. 

I would request you to contact our phone support.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

hey i am also facing same problem 

please send me mail if your problem is solved after taking any actions on laptop

HP Recommended

Hi @surya_

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Have you tried these steps yet? If the issue still persists, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@EbenL, if you do find a solution, could you post the info here?  I have the same issue.   Here is a little more info in case it helps.

My Omen 15t has a GTX 1660 ti.   If I'm running a benchmarking app (like Superposition by Unigine), on battery the performance is only about 20% of what it is plugged in.   Most of the time if I'm on battery I'm glad it's saving battery life, but once in a while I need high performance for a little while. 

I have personally witnessed on an Omen 15t that had a GTX 1650, that on battery the performance only dropped by a little bit.   (by the way, the Omen 15t with GTX 1650 also has Optimus.  HP Omens with GPUs above the GTX 1650 do not support optimus / and there is no way to use the iGPU)

I'm kind of guessing that with the GTX 1660 and above, maybe by design they need to scale back the performance drastically to avoid completely overwhelming the battery, but that's just speculation.  

HP Recommended

I read something online about it using only the intel graphics on battery for safety issues im unsure.

HP Recommended

@YoelChuyQ, for the HP Omen laptops with the GTX 1660 ti or above GPU, it's not possible for the laptop to revert back to the iGPU (in Omens the iGPU is not connected to the display panel unless you have a GTX 1650 or GTX 1050 or below, is what we've learned).  Also, even though the Omen performance with the GTX 1660 is terrible unplugged, I believe it is still better than what the iGPU is able to support.     But I do agree it seems like the GPU is intentionally throttled back while on battery, I'm assuming to avoid overloading the battery but I can't swear to it.   

And on the GTX 1650 version (that is capable of supporting the iGPU), the performance was only slightly worse when unplugged (which is way better than what the iGPU can support).  The GTX 1650 is in my opinion still a pretty good GPU (it is fantastic if comparing it to the iGPU for the i7-9th gen).

HP Recommended

Saying that it's supposed to do this is unacceptable.

The laptop's new price is 1800€, i cannot imagine that a 1800€ laptop is supposed to not be able to run lightweight games.

Before i bought this laptop i had a 800€ gaminglaptop that was 3 years old, and on battery it performed way better than this one. I don't care what reason is behind it, it's simply unacceptable.

Meanwhile i've send my laptop back to the store for repair, i just got it back with a note that they replaced the defective parts.

Yet nothing has changed.

If it's not a hardware issue it has to be something else, but i cannot believe nor accept that it is supposed to be this way.

I've been doing more research and benchmarking tests and i discovered that my GPU clock speed seems to be capped at around 300 whenever the adapter is not plugged in. I assume this is the problem.

I'm assuming somewhere in my softwaresettings there is a limiter that doesn't allow my gpu to go above 300 on battery.

Does anyone know where this limiter might be, and how i can disable it?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.