cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
MarcusFall
2 1 0 2
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Hp Omen 15 Thermal Throttling

HP Recommended
Omen 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I am using the OMEN 15-dc  version which has the intel i7 9750H processor and the GTX 1660 Ti.

The problem with my laptop is that it's overheating, throttles itself to the point of unbelievable performance drop within 60 seconds of a gameplay. For example, Red Dead Redemption starts up 60 fps, and gradually drops to 18-22 with major stutters after about a minute.

CPU goes up to the 97 Celsius degree and GPU is about 93. Front panel gets too hot to touch, literally burned up my fingertips once.

II have tried undervolting the cpu and succeeded, cpu benchmark tests showed that its heating got down around 80, but whenever GPU gets hot, it gets spread to CPU too.

I think there's a cooling design problem but i can't open the laptop since there's still warranty ongoing.

I am really unhappy with this product and literally don't see the point of undervolting since i paid for performance, what bothers me even more that i have to limit the laptop to lower performance to get more than i do right now.

There's clearly something wrong with the cooling, tried cooling pads and didn't help much. I don't want the HP service to just apply some thermals and send it back to me, i want a product what the root cause of it solved.

How can i get this addressed?

1 REPLY 1
RafThunder
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

you need to replace your thermal paste. Try buying arctic mx4 or the new mx5 one, you will see lower temperatures than with the stock thermal paste they provide

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation