Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp-Omen 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone!  My laptop Hp - Omen"s CPU runs on average 95C while gaming, which is pretty high, as long as I know. Could anyone help me undervolt it please?

CPU - I7  9750H

GPU - 1660TI

BIOS version - F.12 - as long as I understand it's the latest version.

32GB - ram

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi @Russ23

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the heating issue. 

Let's try these steps to update the computer - 

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Also, try updating the BIOS. Refer to this document for steps - HP Consumer Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

Note - Undervolt is not recommended by HP. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Asmita!

undervolt is not recommended? May I know why? while I was waiting for the reply I found lot's of other posts where undervolt is recommended by HP employees. I've just recently installed everything, and I really doubt it will solve the problem. So what should I do if the problem persists and I can't undervolt it? As long as I understand it's a very common issue with this laptops, I guess even if I change it, it won't solve it.

HP Recommended

@Russ23

Undervolt can cause instability in the system and requires change in the power components of the CPU that's why it is not recommended by HP. 

HP does not recommend upgrading or downgrading hardware parts or software that is bundled with the product as It may affect the manufacturer's warranty and performance, however, you could change the configuration at your own discretion.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Asmita

But if you run a CPU at 95-100C for long periods at a time, the detrimental effects likely won't show up until after the warranty period has expired.

Is your suggestion to just use the device as is? Is HP saying 100C operating temp is ok for this CPU?

HP Recommended

This may seem a little overkill but what I have done to help cool my laptop is to take an old case fan.  I then found a 9v to 12v ac to dc transformer (I had probably a couple dozen laying around,) I then cut the end off it and soldered the wires to the fan and taped it up.  Now when I use graphic and/or memory intensive game programs I plug it in and then have it blow straight down on the keyboard where it gets the hottest.  This has helped my laptop so much and it did not cost nothing but a little time.  Used to be my keyboard between the U and the Enter key would get very hot even with the fans blowing.  Now it does not.  Just a suggestion.  

HP Recommended

@Asmita6658. 

Ok. Updating all the above mentioned by you apps and windows doesn't help. Th only solution that I've found is that reducing maximum processor state by 1% in power management settings solves the overheating issue. Maximum CPU's temperatures are about 70C. BUT it cuts the clock speed by almost double. Maximum frequencies that I can get is 2400Ghz.  What was the point of buying I7 9750H if I can't use it? Those frequencies enough for gaming but when it comes to rendering video it's a disaster. If I don't underclock it reaches 100 degree Celsius, if I render 30minutes 4K video CPU will simply melt. if I do overclock it takes way too long to render. I thought I payed for a proper laptop for multiple tasks. 

And when I'm asking for help to undervolt the CPU properly or optimize it so I don't get high temperature I'm turned down. And I'm sure I saw multiple threads on this forum where HP employees suggest to undervolt the CPU. But those configurations are different from mine. So I thought I could get help from HP employees regarding my configurations. Do I really need to attach the screen shots where you can actually see HP recommends undervolting?

What should I do now? I've just recently bought my laptop and it's overheating. I can't undervolt it because it will void the warranty, I can't tune up my CPU. I just have to live with a half capable I7-9750H. If I knew this I would buy some i5 processor for half the money.

HP Recommended

@RMBrewer: Or you could just buy a cooling pad. Its more efficient to blow into an intake vent than onto your keyboard as well.

In any case, I already have a cooling pad and still hit these temps with ease.

HP Recommended

@Russ23

I have a 17" Omen and experience near-identical issues as you are.

I have attempted your 1% reduction work-around. My CPU temps under load are now 90-92C but they do still spike to 100C on occasion. I am getting 40x multiplier (around 4Ghz), but we should be getting upwards of 4.5 so the chip is still underperforming.

If your CPU is operating at 70C, why is it only at 2.4Ghz with a 1% reduction? This doesn't sound right. 

HP Recommended

I am running a four fan cooling pad also.  I have just found that running the fan on top of the keyboard helps a little to keep it cool.  In fact doing this I have yet to have the keyboard get hot.  There is enough gap between the keys and the case some air is getting in and to the processor.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.