Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

@Evillost

I  have a cooling pad. But looks like it doesn't do a thing. I'm not sure why, but when i reduce maximum processor state by 1% it cut frequencies by almost half but temps are ok.

HP Recommended

I have an HP Omen 15-dc1047nr.

I like FPS games like Quake Champions and DOOM.

Here's what i've done to keep my cpu temps down to an average of 63C and gpu temps down to an average of 58C.

1. Power Mode, Plugged in, slide to far left: Best Battery Life

2. Reducing maximum processor state to 80% in power management settings.

3. In the Omen Command Center program, set to Comfort.

I run in high graphics settings. If ran in ultra settings, some lag/stuttering occurs in the game.

Dropping your maximum processor state to 60% will lower the avg cpu and gpu temps eve more, but I like a above, game performance is compromised.

I've also set the Omen Command Center program to Performance and did not notice a significant increase difference in avg temps nor gaming performance, so I'll keep in Comfort mode.

P.S. I've tried various laptop cooling pads and they're all a joke. I've even gone as far as buying this badboy and connecting my A/C to the cooling pad via dryer vent tubing (lol). Although it did work in lowering temps and reducing fan speeds, the potential internal condensation in the long run and extra parts to achieve my goals of a long life laptop wasn't worth the reward.

HP Recommended

This is not an acceptable "solution" 

If I wanted to run at low power and below my computers specs, then I would have simply bought a lower specced laptop.  Why did I pay for a faster chip if I can't use it? 

It doesn't make any sense to pay more for a higher end rig, then to power it down to be a lower end system. 

HP Recommended

Not sure that I understand your comment.

I'm sure the OP wanted a nice laptop that can handle the newest games like myself, but did not expect to consistently have high running temps when gaming.

The OP's request was wanting to know how to undervolt due to overheating.  I think I've provided his exact solution.

HP Recommended
  • I'm sure the OP wanted a nice laptop that can handle the newest games like myself, but did not expect to consistently have high running temps when gaming

You aren't supposed to have consistently max Temps while gaming. If you do, it is either a design or hardware defect. 

In either case, telling me to power down my CPU so that I don't get the specs that I paid for is absolutely not a solution. 

If you are going to run your system under reduced power, why not just buy a slower (and cheaper) system? You would get the same performance for less money. 

HP Recommended

I understand now, thanks.

I don’t think anyone will ever reach consistent max temps because as soon as any computer reaches max temps, it would automatically shut down.

For my laptop in particular, I reached the lower 90's but rarely exceeded 95c. Those temps are completely safe and normal. Maybe the OP had similar temps and thought those were abnormally high.

But for longevity of my machine, I'd prefer to run lower temps. Gaming isn't compromised much when my settings are lowered. And honestly, it’s not that big of a deal, at least to me.

And in regards to a lower spec, tons of games (like the one I play, Doom) require a higher spec machine to play let alone play smoothly. I previously had an HP Spectra, i7, 16gb ram, AMD 4gb v-card, 512ssd, and all I would get is the blue screen of death. I really needed all the specs that I have currently have to run the games that I wanted to play.

The truth of the matter is, obviously the OP cant change to a lower spec machine. Let’s move on to actual solutions like what I’ve provided instead of telling him what he could have done.

HP Recommended

You are correct that Temps of 90C under load are fine. 

This is not the case with my machine. 

My machine goes almost immediately to 98-100C under load and the CPU will throttle (reduce power) automatically to prevent overheating. Because of this, my CPU is running at 30% slower speed, while still at 98-99C (but under 100C so it doesn't shut down). 

My CPU remains at 95+C, often in the 98C range, (while running 30% slower) the Entire time it is under load. That is definitely a design or hardware defect. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.