Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 17" 17t-w100 | X2E89AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I am look to upgrade my factory ssd to another sdd with more storage however, I am unfamiliar with the technicals on sdd hardware.

What I mean is, my current M.2 SATA ssd has 3 plugs (or two keys) while the one I would like to buy only has 2 plugs (1 key) and is a M.2 MVMe. Will then new ssd work with my laptop or can I only use SATA? 

I researched as much as I could online but half of what I found said you can use a MVMe in a SATA slot and the other half said you can't. So I'm not sure what to do. Also its hard to find any information on my Omen laptop even on HP Support. But what I did find also mentioned you would have to install new drivers for a MVMe ssd. Is that true?

I would just order the new ssd and just try it but due to COVID-19 it will take a month to get it and probably twice as long to send it back, should it not work.

Thanks for reading my post.

New ssd I'd like to buy: Samsung EVO M.2 MVMe

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-1TB-MZ-V7E1T0BW/dp/B07BN4NJ2J/ref=sr_1_3?crid=TZ38IQKBOJOT&dc...

My current ssd that came with the laptop:

(Im not 100% sure if this is the ssd in my laptop because I can't take it apart right now but from the research this should be the ssd )

https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Z400s-128GB-2280-SD8SNAT-128G-1122/dp/B00Z1NMS88/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&...

Sorry for the armature post.

New ssd (left) Current (right)New ssd (left) Current (right)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @JacobM343 

I'll try to keep it simple...

M.2 Sata SSD's have the two notches in the pinout. The can be installed on a motherboard that uses M.2 Sata B keyed slots or M.2 NVMe M keyed slots that can also be backwards compatible with Sata (depending on how the manufacturer wired the system). Those drives only run at Sata speed.

M.2 NVMe SSD's only have one notch (M keyed) in the pinout and the short side has 5 pins on one side, 4 on the back side. Those drives only run at NVMe speed.

Your laptop can use either one. But it would not be prudent anymore to purchase an M.2 Sata drive as the NVMe drives are within the same price point now and are much faster.

That Samsung 970 EVO NVMe drive your posted will work just fine.

If you also have an HDD installed, disconnect it before installing Windows, then reconnect it.

The case has clips as well as screws holding it together. The plastic clips are delicate, so pry them apart gently if you can with a spudger or credit card.

Here is your manual... http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05260118

Does that help?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @JacobM343 

I'll try to keep it simple...

M.2 Sata SSD's have the two notches in the pinout. The can be installed on a motherboard that uses M.2 Sata B keyed slots or M.2 NVMe M keyed slots that can also be backwards compatible with Sata (depending on how the manufacturer wired the system). Those drives only run at Sata speed.

M.2 NVMe SSD's only have one notch (M keyed) in the pinout and the short side has 5 pins on one side, 4 on the back side. Those drives only run at NVMe speed.

Your laptop can use either one. But it would not be prudent anymore to purchase an M.2 Sata drive as the NVMe drives are within the same price point now and are much faster.

That Samsung 970 EVO NVMe drive your posted will work just fine.

If you also have an HDD installed, disconnect it before installing Windows, then reconnect it.

The case has clips as well as screws holding it together. The plastic clips are delicate, so pry them apart gently if you can with a spudger or credit card.

Here is your manual... http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05260118

Does that help?

HP Recommended

Thanks Photoray002 for the help and the manual!

I wasn't completely sure if a NVMe would work with my laptop since its a little dated. Im also ordering a plastic prying kit to be extra careful.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. If you have other questions, let us know. 😀

HP Recommended

I swapped the SSDs and it was a lot easier to take apart the laptop then I thought it would be.

The only problem was when I went to turn on the laptop, some message came up but I didn't get a chance to read it as it quickly went away. Then it started infinitely trying to boot until it toke me to a windows recovery screen. I tried the restart option a few times but the same thing kept happening. I then tried booting it into safe mode and it started up and ran like normal (other then save mode stuff). I restarted it from there and it booted up like it always has. The problem seams to have dispersed?

Prior to the Omen, I also swapped an SSD on my HP envy and it didn't have any booting problems so I don't know what happened.

HP Recommended

Not sure what happened. Its working OK now? If so you should be good.

If it happens again, I would reseat the drives. Then if its not working, you may have to reinstall Windows again. Do not have any other drives attached when installing.

HP Recommended

Sorry for the late reply, but everythings good now. I had the computer off for the last few weeks and I just booted it up today and it started right up with no problems. Thanks for the help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.