Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp Omen Laptop 3VT96UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Alright....So I have less than one moth remaining on warranty and I bought this laptop because it was oculus rift ready. When I finally got around to getting the Rift (just before they released Rift S) I am  not happy. First of for some reason I had major issues getting everything to work. I had to use a HDMI to mini display port adapter to even get it working. While playing Rift, no matter  the game,  my CPUs  constantly running on up to 97-98c (I stop playing by then for fear of bursting into flames) The top  near the speakers is literally painful to the touch.  And yes I know about air flow and making sure dust free and I'm in AC room etc.

My omen command center has no option for performance control. Just network boost, system vitals and lighting.  Is this normal or should I  rush this back while it's covered? When I use to use to build gaming towers,  I was so picky about temps. I never seen a CPU get close to the hell  this i7 2.2Gz Coffee lake is taking things. Right now its @ 55 with just this task of me complaining.

I heard that this CPU is known to run high and its no big deal .....but....really????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You can under volt the CPU using throttle stop and use task scheduler to run throttle stop automatically during boot up. This will reduce the temp by 9 to 10 degree.  Mine did.

In your situation, I would advice you to contact Hp support first(Because its in warranty). If thermal paste has worn down, they would re-apply the paste and clean the fans.

This is your best shot.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You can under volt the CPU using throttle stop and use task scheduler to run throttle stop automatically during boot up. This will reduce the temp by 9 to 10 degree.  Mine did.

In your situation, I would advice you to contact Hp support first(Because its in warranty). If thermal paste has worn down, they would re-apply the paste and clean the fans.

This is your best shot.

HP Recommended

Thanks. Helps!

HP Recommended

You don't need to be afraid of temperatures as long as they are below 90 degrees, even long-term. You should be able to achieve that by undervolting. CPUs, especially newer ones and particularly those for laptops, can easily withstand high temperatures in the 80's over extended periods. Also, they will throttle down automatically if the temperatures surpass the PROCHOT limit, so nothing will burn or explode.

And if other components get too hot, the CPU will throttle down automatically as well - so you don't need to fear your CPU damaging other components as well.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.