Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp pavillion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Whenever playing games my cpu usage goes up to or close to 90-100% and my fps drops to 5 or 10 then my fps returns to 60 and my usage goes back down to a normal ammount. My temperatures are between 60-75 during gaming (often 69-71) I have every latest driver recommended for my laptop and i got all of them from the hp support.

I also have a laptop cooler to help with temps and the stutter still hasnt gone. I havent overclocked anything.

I have a I5 8265U and GTX 1050 Max Q

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION:

I noticed that whenever i got the lag spike or cpu dropping all my cores dropped to 0.4Gh but when it went smooth all of them went back to 1.7-2.6Gh.

I knew my laptop was throttling.

I downloaded an application called ThrottleStop.

Once you have downloaded it click on this link to set it up https://www.notebookcheck.net/How-to-Lower-Temperatures-Stop-Throttling-and-Increase-Battery-Life-Th....

Hope this works.

My Games Are Buttery smooth.

Also thank you HP employer all of the other forums said that i broke my laptop but you kept on giving me advice. I am forever Grateful.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Minterdrives Greetings from the HP Community!

I have a few steps that should help your cause:

• Right-click your desktop background and select NVIDIA Control Panel. You can also find this tool by performing a Start menu (or Start screen) search for NVIDIA Control Panel or by right-clicking the NVIDIA icon in your system tray and selecting Open NVIDIA Control Panel.
  • To quickly set a system-wide preference, you could use the Adjust image settings with the preview option. For example, if you have old hardware that struggles to play the games you want to play, you may want to select “Use my preference emphasizing” and move the slider all the way to “Performance.” This trades graphics quality for an increased frame rate.
  • By default, the “Use the advanced 3D image settings” option is selected. You can select Manage 3D settings and change advanced settings for all programs on your computer or just for specific games. NVIDIA keeps a database of the optimal settings for various games, but you’re free to tweak individual settings here. Just mouse-over an option for an explanation of what it does.
  • If you have a laptop with NVIDIA Optimus technology — that is, both NVIDIA and Intel graphics — this is the same place you can choose which applications will use the NVIDIA hardware and which will use the Intel hardware.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply but unfortunately i had already done that before hand. I also came up with a revelation. I opened task manager and my game next to eachother and i found that whenever i got the lag spikes my cpu usage and gpu usage drops to almost 3% and my game audio crackles almost like a broken speaker. Then cpu returns to normal and my sound and game runs smooth again.  Hopefully this might help. The program i was using wasn't very accurate. The program was called msi afterburner.

HP Recommended

@Minterdrives
Thank you for posting back. 

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Firstly, let's perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open the HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

And also run BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried everything. I even contacted HP technicians and they couldn't figure it out. I tried all your solutions and they helped especially the bios update but i still get stutters when cpu usage drops. Its alot less frequent but they still exist. Do you have a last piece of advice to wipe them completely?

HP Recommended

@Minterdrives

Thank you for posting back,

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue.  

The last thing we can try to restore the computer back to the factory settings. Performing an HP system recovery (Windows ) While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately I had already done that and it didn't fix the problem. Thanks for your help i guess there is no hope.

HP Recommended

@Minterdrives

Thank you for posting back. 

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION:

I noticed that whenever i got the lag spike or cpu dropping all my cores dropped to 0.4Gh but when it went smooth all of them went back to 1.7-2.6Gh.

I knew my laptop was throttling.

I downloaded an application called ThrottleStop.

Once you have downloaded it click on this link to set it up https://www.notebookcheck.net/How-to-Lower-Temperatures-Stop-Throttling-and-Increase-Battery-Life-Th....

Hope this works.

My Games Are Buttery smooth.

Also thank you HP employer all of the other forums said that i broke my laptop but you kept on giving me advice. I am forever Grateful.

HP Recommended

I have tried this method and it did not do anything what settings an i suppose to change.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.