Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook 17-ab004nc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Random huge FPS drops during playing games. Games are usually runnig fine for some time, sometimes hour or two but usually just few minutes. During this time FPS is fluctuating, but nothing extreme. GPU usage is also fluctuating and everything is fine. But then suddenly GPU rocketjumps usually to 99% or 100% and stays here, independently on temperature. After that FPS remains relativelly stabille 59-60 FPS, but every few seconds it ridiculouslly drop, usually like to 15-10 or even less FPS. It is not surprise during this phase it is impossible to enjoiy my game. Strange thing is that CPU usage is allways 100% at the start of FPS drop and imediatelly after that it goes down to 65% or so.

I tried practically awerithing to fix this problem. I increased my virtuall memory and for some reason it helped for approx. 1 day of non-continious playing (not gaming time). However this should not have affected my performance given I usually use only 4 from 8 GB of RAM.

Upgrading drivers does not help.

All computer settings are set to highest performance and computer is fully powered. I even gave my games high priority in task manager.

All unecessary startup programs in taskmanager are disabled.

Computer is totally clean.

I upgraded Bios and it helped for 1 day.

This issue started about 1,5 years after I bought it laptop and persisted even after hard reset (even registry values vere reseted). It is about 4 years since I bought this laptop.

It looks that after any huge system reset thegames run normally for approx. 1 day. Even if I restart notebook it works normally for this period of time.

Disabling antivirus does not help.

It happens with every single game which has too high requirements for integrated graphics.

CPU usage is usually not very high.

I really hope that you can help me. I have read tons of other forums without result. After this terrible experience I fell like I won´t buy HP product ever again. I hope you can help me solve the problem and change my curent thoughts about your company.

I am really looking forward your replay.

P. S.: I am sorry for my English, I am not native speaker.

PC specs:

Nvidia XTG 960M

Intel core i7 (7th generation I think)

8Gb RAM

64Gb SSD

1Tb HDD (above average speed, I think)

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Domsto

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with FPS drop when you play games.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you perform a system test on the computer following the steps in the below article to make sure whether it is a hardware or a software related issue.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I already used that software about 1,5 weeks ago. (only fast test though) and it said everything was allright. From my experience this tool does not even scan external graphic card.

HP Recommended

Anyway, this week I unistalled GeForce Experience and everything was running smoothly, unfortunatelly only for one day. Again.

HP Recommended

I did this because usually when I killed all NVIDIA processes the problem was solwed. But GeForce Experience allways turned them on when PC, or game started, so I wanted to solve it permanently.

HP Recommended

"I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with FPS drop when you play games."

I would rther say: When I use my GTX 960M graphic card.

HP Recommended

@Domsto

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I just found out that it is GPU memory clock what causes problems. It simply drops here and there no matter what I am doing.

How to stop this?

P.S. I thought this is the HP support, other than this option I found only phone call.

HP Recommended

I think I was wrong. Perhaps it is caused by Voltage drops.

Every time the FPS drop happens the Voltage drops.

Any ideas how to solve this?

When I bought the PC I had issues of it automacilly turnig off at random, perhaps it is related.

HP Recommended

@Domsto

I recommend you contact support and they will assist you in this regard.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.