Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp omen 17t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Also what program should I use for the encryption?
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Bcmoney, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you would like to encrypt your laptop without compromising on performance.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you have any encryption software installed on your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

I understand the concern for privacy, but yes the performance hit would be across the board in games, programs, etc.

If you did get an SSD the performance hit wouldn't be very noticeable as the performance of an SSD over an HDD is very high.

If you don't have any encryption installed on your PC.

You can purchase the encryption software like Bitlocker, Mcafee, and vera crypt etc.

These are few best encryption software which runs which will very little effect performance of your laptop.

Hope this helps!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey,  so I have 2 laptops. One is a windows 10  product number: W2N49UA#ABA . This one I primarily use for gaming. It should be the stock model and I am fairly certain has an SSD. By the way, do you know how to make the GUI on windows 10 more like windows 7? The 2 reasons I don't use this one more is I dislike the user interface compared to windows 7 and that the java applet for fumbbl.com games comes up way too small on the windows 10 laptop so I can hardly see the game where as it is most of my windows 7 screen.

My second laptop, the one I mainly uses is windows 7  product number A5F76AV . I am pretty sure it has a hard disk because I can hear it move at times. I don't really care about that big of a hit on this one as I primarily use it for fumbbl, Opera, youtube, and google apps like docs and slides. This one is the more important one to encrypt for me. 

HP Recommended

@Bcmoney, Thanks for your generous response and time.

Thanks for sharing the product details.

The first product W2N49UA has SSD built on to it so you can encrypt the drive but still, you might see some performance lags as I mentioned in my previous post.

The second PC has gone with SATA hard drive, The performance of your PC might decrease if you install encryption software on this unit.

As you needed to know how to make windows 10 make windows 7 look alike.

I found a relevant article from howtogeek.com website, refer this link for more information.

Hope this helps!

Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.