Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 15 Laptop (15-ek0003na)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am wanting to install a second m.2 nvme SSD into the spare m.2 nvme slot on my HP Omen Laptop.

I have replaced the original 512GB m.2 nvme drive with a new Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB drive.  I cloned the original drive using Acronis True Image 2021.  I then removed the old 512MB drive and replaced it with the new cloned Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB SSD.  This works fine!

So then I thought, I will format the old 512GB drive and place it into the spare m.2 nvme slot.  When I did this the laptop would not boot into windows 10.  It was just sending me into the recovery options.  The only way to boot into Windows 10 as normal was to remove the 512GB.  So it appears that if another SSD is plugged into the spare slot the Laptop won't boot into Windows.  I thought it would just show as a spare drive.

Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

You were right but the only way to solve the issue was to use DiskPart in Windows CMD.  The link below shows the steps to follow in order to do this.  The function sets the SSD back to the un-initialised state (just as it is when brand new). 

https://www.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-ssd/reset-ssd-with-windows-diskpart

You will need to use this function if you are re-using a previously installed SSD from your system, just as I did.  If you buy a brand new SSD you won't need to do this, simply install and set up with Disk Management as normal.

Hope this helps everyone!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Steve12375 

The old M.2 SSD may still contain the signature of your machine (even after formatting it)  Please try to initialize it and try again. You need an adapter from USB to NVMe to connect it

https://www.amazon.com.au/Adapter-Converter-Portable-Support-Windows/dp/B07VVNGYFV

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

You were right but the only way to solve the issue was to use DiskPart in Windows CMD.  The link below shows the steps to follow in order to do this.  The function sets the SSD back to the un-initialised state (just as it is when brand new). 

https://www.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-ssd/reset-ssd-with-windows-diskpart

You will need to use this function if you are re-using a previously installed SSD from your system, just as I did.  If you buy a brand new SSD you won't need to do this, simply install and set up with Disk Management as normal.

Hope this helps everyone!

HP Recommended

Hi

Do you know what the part number was on the original NVME in the HP Laptop?

Was just interested to see how the speeds of the 930 Evo Plus compare with the original 512gb NVME

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi,

The number was - HP PN L50352-001 and it was a Samsung PM981a 512GB NVMe.

The Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1GB is faster, but not by a massive amount 

You can use the Samsung Magician Software with the 970, but it does not recognise the PM981a as it's an OEM Drive, not Retail.

Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.