Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 15-dc0096nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So my laptop recently just stopped booting showing all signs of being bricked was completely unresponsive not reaching post only thing that would happen is power light would flash once.

I had upgraded the ram months ago and used it alot since then so I didn't expect that to be the issue but when I put the old ram back in it booted up showing a cmos error and after restart all was fine. 

I went through the process of resetting back to factory and updating all the drivers and Bios/firmware figured it would be fine but the moment I put the newer ram back in it was a brick again. Switched back to the old 8gb stick and it worked just fine showing the cmos error again.

So why is it that when I slap my ram upgraded in it won't work at all.

Ram upgrade is 

Crucial 

2x16gb ddr4 -2666mhz

Sodimm 1.2v

Old stick is the stock 8 gb ram

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Ninja_Dude 

My HP Omen 15-dc machine has stock Samsung RAM:

ram spd.png

Crucial RAM should work. Did you install RAM yourself ? Probably during the installation process RAM was not properly seat. Please reseat RAM otherwise use the above information to buy Samsung RAM and install them properly.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I bought the ram directly from crucial as it was highly recommended for this model. It's all within the specs of the laptop too. The upgrade ram worked fined for months. So I doubt it's a problem with it being seated properly especially since I've removed and reinstalled it a couple times. Now however everytime I installed the upgrade ram in bricks the laptop but will boot fine with the stock ram. I thought it might've been a bios issue at boot and struggled to get the newest bios update to install but it would freeze up the laptop everytime. Bios also had an error 10 code after factory reset until I downgraded it one version. Tested the new crucial ram in another win 10 laptop yesterday and it worked just fine. So I'm kind of looking for a solution that won't cost me another 100$ out of pocket that might not work

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.