Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming 15-dk2000 Laptop PC (2P1Z8AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

I am using hp pavilion 15-dk2100 gaming laptop from almost 2 months now and do gaming on it at least 2-3 hrs a day but from last two days I am noticing  that the cpu temps are going 95+ and even touching 100 but gpu was on 80+ and barely touched 85+.Today when I started GTAV (on high setting) and in less 20 mins laptop was giving a little burning smell and and temps were going 95+ what should I do.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Update: Just did some stress test and the max temp of CPU was 98* test was on CPU-Z so it is only happening happening wile playing games only and reaching 100* C is bad for CPU. 

HP Recommended

Hi @DARK0BOI

Welcome to the HP Support Community. Thanks for bringing this to our notice.

I see that you are facing heating while gaming-related issues on your system. Do not worry, we are here to fix it.

May I know from when are you facing this issue?

Did you make any hardware or software-related changes to it?

That said, Click here for steps to resolve overheating issues, you could try reducing the resolution on the in-game settings and switch the windows settings to performance rather than visual effects to make a minor change, however, the game may heat up your PC, hence make sure you are using a cooling pad as well, to be on a safer side.

Here's how you change windows settings:

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings.
  • Type performance > choose to Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
  • In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance.
  • click Apply and Ok...this should do the trick.

I must let you know that its normal for a gaming PC to heat up, and with an Intel CPU such as the one you have, there's nothing to worry about, for details on why you don't need to worry: Click here to go through the CPU specifications, look under Tjunction of the CPU, it supports up to 100°C.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Temps are reaching 100 while gaming, I haven't made any software or hardware changes. I understand what you are saying but cpu reaching 100 will decrease it's life span. and the slight burning smell is normal in gaming pc ?

HP Recommended

I can totally understand your concern here. 

I would suggest you please use the link I shared above to resolve the heating issue. 

Let me know how it goes.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Update: I did all that was written on the website although not all the things written on the website can be done as pavilion series have too many settings locked and can't be changed + downloaded all the updates and installed them.

So this is how it went (These test are done after thermal paste replacement)-

While testing GTA 5 again but with normal settings temps still goes to 100* so after the pc cooldown.

I tried testing Tekken 7 on medium preset and temps same touching 100*.

The burning smell starts coming as soon as CPU touches 55+ and it makes me a little bit afraid. Regarding to this issue I also contacted customer support and they assigned a engineer and he after coming was thermal paste replacement and said that it is normal for a gaming pc to go 100* and even if this laptop goes to 110* nothing will happen and about burning smell it is normal contact support if you get any overheating error message on the screen. My friend has Asus rog ZEPHYRUS G14  (Ryzen 4600H 6 cores and GTX 1650ti) and I tested it to the limit and the max temp was 97* even though it was overclocked and there was no burning smell. And my pc goes 100* even after it is under-volt and locked. I can't even change the performance mode in this laptop .   

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.

I have sent you a private message with further instructions to get this issue sorted in order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Thanks!

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.