Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

On the HP Omen there are red lights that turn on in the rear fan vents which looks obnoxious when in college. Is there a way to turn off the fan lights, or is it just permenantly on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
In the HP Omen Control Panel, there is an LED brightness slider.

Move that to 0 and the all lights will be off.
Unfortunately, I don't known of a way to turn just the rear light off but leave the rest on. 😞

I will look into that, though, in case there is.
I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@iMaxx ?

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended
In the HP Omen Control Panel, there is an LED brightness slider.

Move that to 0 and the all lights will be off.
Unfortunately, I don't known of a way to turn just the rear light off but leave the rest on. 😞

I will look into that, though, in case there is.
I am an HP Employee
-----
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

Its more a workaround than a solution to just turn of the LEDs completely. It really should be possible to turn of the FAN LEDs in the light control software, so HP please don't consider this as solved.

I see in the HP documentation that the fan LEDs have been designated a light grouping (group 😎 but still they are not manageable.

http://support.hp.com/lv-en/document/c04492013

I'm using the Omen Pro at work and the first thing my colleagues said at the group meeting was that I should get rid of the light... I hadn't seen them, so that was quite embarrassing...you should do better HP 😞

HP Recommended

Mmmm the Omen Pro!

I am so glad that you've made mention of this as I work with the design team.
They are going to get this feed back right away.

I am an HP Employee
-----
HP Recommended

Thanks, much apprieciated! 🙂

It is actually a bit worse than I first noticed, since the setting (LED at level 0) seems to be forgotten after shutdown, resulting in red fans until the program is re-launced. I can see more embassing moments coming up 😞

...and also the back-light of the keyboard is gone, which is really annoying in low light conditions.

HP Recommended

Sadly, the bridghtness slider dims all LEDS.
Wasn't aware that it reset when rebooted, though. Good to note for the team.

You can, however, adjust brightness level of the individual zones. (Minus the rear fans, of course.)
You can check those by clicking on the individial zones and looking at the bottom slider next to the colour wheel.

I am an HP Employee
-----
HP Recommended

Yeah it's a pity that all LEDs are affected, but really the only "viably" option now.... still I will have to make sure I don't make any reboot before I have to go to a meeting where I need to be taken seriously 😉 sadly not even joking :(... it simply doesn't work with those lights. I am sure I will not be alone with this problem...

I really appreciate you going forward with this, as it's a very unfortunate feature for a workstation/Pro laptop.

HP Recommended

I totally agree, it is really awkward to go to business meetings with laptop glowing red :).

I am using HP Omen with linux (more details here) and I wish I could have the same or at least similar control of lights as there is on Windows.

I understand that it is probably not in your interest to support linux, but could we at least get some directions on how to implement it on our own in linux? Maybe some specifications on how the keyboard lightning can be controlled?
Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi All,

Has there been any update on the Omen Control Software? Anyone figure out an alternative way to disable the fan light?

Wondering if there has been any updates on the software, do the settings still reset after a restart?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.