Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-dk0902no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Just got home with this new laptop, and problem is that i won´t charge unless i physical close the laptop. WHen closed, it caharges as it should - can see the orange diode turns on.

Tried to update the drivers for:
Microsoft ac-adapter

Microsoft surface acpi-compliant control method battery

Removed both under device management and then searched for hw changes. It did reinstall both, and it tells me that both are up to date.

I don´t know what to do from here.

I can´t take out the battery, as i would break the guarentie.

Help is appreciated

Regards Thomas

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@ThomasRAS

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

I suggest you start with a hard reset:

Hard Reset:

1) Shutdown the computer.  

2) Unplug all the Adapter and peripherals connected.  

3) Remove the Battery. ( not for Built-in Battery computer ) 

4) Press and hold down the power button for 15 to 20 seconds.  

5) Plug-in the Adapter and put the Battery back into the computer if it's a (removable battery)

6) Try to turn on the computer and check, if the issue persists continue next step.

When done, you may want to check with an alternate power cord/adapter as it could be a malfunction that's causing this issue to occur, here's what you could do:   If the charger shows inconsistent power output values, I would suggest that you step into Best Buy or staples and try with a different adapter and that should isolate the issue to the adapter or the computer.  

Please try a different battery on the unit as well.   Do not buy the battery and adapter. It is only for testing. Use spare ones that they may have. If it works correctly, then you could think of buying it.  

Meanwhile, also, try the below: Steps to uninstall the ACPI drivers Right-Click on start button> click device manager> Batteries>then select the s drivers and right-click on it and uninstall all battery drivers. Then restart the computer and check again.   Link for battery testing and calibration 

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty0610,

Thanks for the reply!

I am affraid I can´t follow all solutions provided.

I can´t unplug the battery as it´s built in.

I also (as i wrote) uninstalled all battery drivers and rebooted afterwards.

I also updated BIOS to latest recomended by HP.

Have been through windows update, and there aren´t no more updates available.

Battery will only charge when the notebook is powered off.

Regards Thomas

HP Recommended

Let's update the chipset drivers: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi again,

And again thanks for helping 🙂
I installed following available chipsetdrivers through Hp Installl assistent:

Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver (Windows 10 v1809)
10.1.18019.8144 Rev.A 3.5 MB Dec 27, 2019

Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Client Driver (Windows 10 v1809)
8.5.10103.7263 Rev.A 8.9 MB May 9, 2019

Intel Dynamic Tuning Driver
8.6.10400.9366 Rev.A 7.5 MB Dec 27, 2019

Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver
1914.12.0.1256 Rev.A 13.9 MB Dec 27, 2019

Intel Serial IO Driver (Windows 10 v1809)
30.100.1915.1 Rev.A 1.2 MB Dec 27, 2019

Intel Software Guard Extensions Device (SGX) Driver (Windows 10 v1809)
2.3.100.49813 Rev.A 5.1 MB Dec 27, 2019

Rebooted, and still not charging when laptop is powered on.
I have an idea that it could be the adaptor itself not delivering enough power, when the laptop is up and running? And since that the laptop is brand new and pre installed.

Also did a power test.  Powered off laptop, hit f2  choose power test in the HP menu. Result was failure for the adaptor:

error-id: MBSM62-A7PA7T-XD7U2J-C1BW03

Any of this makes sence?

Regards Thomas

HP Recommended

According to the failure code the adapter is faulty. Please try with a different adapter and check.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did recieve a new adaptor - but sadly it won´t charge aswell 😞

Adapter power test fails with: MBSM62-A7PA7X-XD7U2J-C19W03

It must be the laptop it self, or the battery needs to be pluged out/in i guess.

Thanks Thomas

HP Recommended

@ThomasRAS

That's unfortunate. Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service options for your Notebook. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.