Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
15-ek0023dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I recently bought the new HP Omen 15-ek0023dx from Best Buy but I’ve found this problem with the keyboard. This is my second laptop currently since I had to return the first one because of the same issue. Whenever I type on the keyboard, there are a few keys that don’t work properly. On my current laptop, as far as I know, the “N” and “O” key works normally individually but don’t always register when typing in actual words. For example, if I am typing in a work like “online”, most of the time I would get “onlie” and with “mode” I’d get “mde”. I’ve tried taking back the first laptop with this problem to Best Buy and the technicians told me that the laptop was fine even though it wasn’t. This led me to return it and get another one of the same model which had the same problem. 
I’ve looked all around the Internet for solutions with no luck. There also seems to be a Reddit user with a similar problem as me as well but they still had the same issue when they got a new laptop. Is this some manufacturing defect or does this have something to do with drivers? (I’ve uninstalled the keyboard drivers from Device Manager with no luck)

One last thing I should note is that by using the built in HP Diagnostics Utility (F2 at startup), typing in the letters “n” and “o” in words (like “online or “mode”) still has the same issue since the key on the screen doesn’t always light up.

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

Since the keys work individually, but not when used in words, can you please explain what happens when you type words really slow?  When you type ''online'' and get “onlie”, you are still getting first 2 letters right, missing the second ''n''. Try type online slowly and let me know please.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I still get the same thing but it happens less frequently.

HP Recommended

I would do is check with a friend to see if it happens to them as well. If it did not I would assume it is my typing style. Over the years we develop typing patterns, we tend to press some keys in the middle and others more to the side. Or check typing those letters with the other hand. Maybe you were used to a keyboard with a different sensitivity? I am not implying you have 2 thumbs, but I remember myself doing a lot of typos whenever I change computer.

HP Recommended

I can guarantee that it’s not my way of typing. My brother and I have completely different styles of typing and he still gets the same exact issues as me. I should also note that I even keep my eyes glued to the keyboard when testing this and it makes no difference at all.

HP Recommended

You are being very unlucky with keyboards I guess... I am no expert but would suggest to send it to repair. Since it happens at startup as well, it cannot me some faulty auto-correct setting. One last suggestion would me to turn the laptop up side down and shake it. (Switched off)

HP Recommended

I believe I am having the same issue, but with different keys. 

Maybe this will help HP figure what's going on. When I type a word like "sing," I'll often get "sig." What I have found is that when I press and release these two keys at the same time nothing registers. So far I've noticed this happens with n+i, n+k, b+u, o+m.

I have the Omen 15-ek0xxx with the UHD 60hz display, also purchased from Best Buy. 

HP Recommended

@matkinson2

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Did you check if the issue occurs on an external keyboard?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

I recommend you attempt the below steps to identify the cause of the failure and resolve it accordingly:

• Try changing the keyboard layout/language and check if it works: Click here for steps.
  • Clean the keyboard with compressed air (blow compressed air in the gaps between keys). This removes some lint and dust. 
  • Shut down the laptop, remove the battery and cable for a moment, press and hold the start button for 60 seconds
  • Replace the battery, restart the notebook,
  • if the issue persists, perform an interactive hardware test on the keyboard using the steps mentioned on this link: Click here (look under "Running Component Tests > Keyboard test").

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the exact same computer with the exact same issue. I found that all keys that were not operating correctly were the combinations:
OM, OL, IN, UB, UJ, YH, XT, LM, NK, JB.

When you look at those on the keyboard, they are not random and in fact create a few triangles on the right hand side of the keyboard. It sounds like a manufacturing error that occurred to a few of us.

Please give me a follow up if you chose to replace it or some similar solution, and your result.

HP Recommended

@Enkay48 Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Did you connect an external keyboard to the device and check if the issue persists on it as well? if not, please do and get back to us with the results,

Also, please run a hardware test as suggested by the last tech.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.