Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello guys. 

I have an HP OMEN 17 inch, intel core i7, RAM 16GB, GTX 960m, Year (2016) 

The battery was fine (i can work for 2 hours with) 

But since 2021 my laptop is shutting down without worning, sometimes it shut down immediately after i disconnect the power from it. 

I RUN the HP test for the battery and it said that the battery is fine.. 

Is anyone else having this problem?? 

Could it bs a software problem?? Or my battery is just dead.? 

I work on after effects and it's been 3 days trying to render one video (laptop shuts down every time it disconnected from the power or when the electricity turned off).. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Karamaslan89 

It would really help us better if you included the full model or Product number of your Omen.

I cant offer the correct manual without it.

Judging by the fact its a 2016 model, Im 99% sure your battery is at its end of life. Especially if you use it on battery power most of the time. Even though Diagnostics shows the battery as OK, its not holding enough capacity now and could even start shorting out. Your symptoms are typical of this. 

Lots of times if yours uses the internal type of battery, when they reach that point, will physically swell up and bulge the keyboard base. If it swells or if its causing your system to randomly shut down, it can be removed and run on power cord only. This will not harm the laptop. HP does not sell those batteries. You will have to find a 3rd party solution in your area. 

Just an FYI for in the future: If you are rendering video, I don't recommend doing such a task on battery power anyway. If you sit at a desk most of the time, you should be plugged in for that duration. I only unplug the cord when I'm done at the end of the day. If I'm doing that day after day, I can also go into the bios and change the charge limit to 90% (still available on your old model I believe). This can help ensure the battery does not overcharge. the circuitry shouldn't let it overcharge anyway, but several users feel its best to do this regardless.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @Karamaslan89 

It would really help us better if you included the full model or Product number of your Omen.

I cant offer the correct manual without it.

Judging by the fact its a 2016 model, Im 99% sure your battery is at its end of life. Especially if you use it on battery power most of the time. Even though Diagnostics shows the battery as OK, its not holding enough capacity now and could even start shorting out. Your symptoms are typical of this. 

Lots of times if yours uses the internal type of battery, when they reach that point, will physically swell up and bulge the keyboard base. If it swells or if its causing your system to randomly shut down, it can be removed and run on power cord only. This will not harm the laptop. HP does not sell those batteries. You will have to find a 3rd party solution in your area. 

Just an FYI for in the future: If you are rendering video, I don't recommend doing such a task on battery power anyway. If you sit at a desk most of the time, you should be plugged in for that duration. I only unplug the cord when I'm done at the end of the day. If I'm doing that day after day, I can also go into the bios and change the charge limit to 90% (still available on your old model I believe). This can help ensure the battery does not overcharge. the circuitry shouldn't let it overcharge anyway, but several users feel its best to do this regardless.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Thank you @photoray002 

I bought a New Battery Today, and I think everything is working fine .. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.