Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I have recently purchased an hp omen (prod id: 4QMB0PA#AKL model: 15dc0079TX). It has not been more than a week since my purchase and I wanted to install games on my laptop. So, I downloaded steam and installed dota 2. I played the game and it was fine on the "fastest" setting but when I bumped up the settings a bit higher my game ran for 10 seconds and then the entire laptop froze nothing worked. A couple of other tries after updating my gpu drivers (gtx 1060 driver verion 411.xx) it still froze the same way.  And a couple of other times got BSODs some with dxgkrnl.sys issues but i have DirectX12 installed. I don't know what the issue might be but i am afraid that these constant crashes might affect my hardware so I wanted to get some help from the community before I try anything else myself. Hope i get a response soon. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Bl4ckf9

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. I reviewed the case regarding issues with the computer. I will be delighted to assist you here. 

you may try the below steps, as even if the game is compatible with your system hardware it may have a slow performance because you are using the windows 8, 8.1 or 10 as the OS uses most of the CPU & graphics card usage, you might want to reduce the visual effects for windows to save the amount of CPU & Graphics card usage required to run your game properly. 

  

Here's how you do it: 

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings. 

• Type performance > choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.  

• In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance. 

• click Apply and ok...this should do the trick. 

If the issue persists, The best way to resolve the issue is to follow the suggestions of the HP Guided Troubleshooter:  

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern). 

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS. 
(by the end of this document, all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Barachiel thank you for the tip. I was tinkering around myself and I found out that my bios wasn't updated. I used the hp support assistant and it downloaded all the necessary drivers and files. After that the game did work but i still felt some stutter during gameplay and I used your first tip for choosing best performance. There is much less significant stuttering but not as much as before.

HP Recommended

@Bl4ckf9

Thanks for the response.

Good to hear it's working. I would suggest you to keep it under observation for a day, and let me know if it occurs again. 

Keep me posted. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.