Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17 - an015nm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there!

I've had my Omen 17 for a couple of years now and, while it's served me faithfully, tragedy struck when I accidentally nudged it off a low table and it fell on the plugged in charging cable. The laptop was in sleep mode and the lid was closed, the battery was fully charged as well. I didn't try opening or turning on the laptop immediately, instead removed the (now bent) charging cable, straightened it out a little, and plugged it back for the charging light to show solid white. I took that to mean that the laptop battery was fully charged and that he charger was indeed providing current to the laptop.

This morning I tried turning on the laptop and it did not respond. I tried removing and plugging in the charger just in case, but the light now turns on orange, and then turns off after a second, the laptop still unable to turn on. I tried with another charger (same voltage, but less watts) and still the same result. I trawled the Internet in an attempt to find what this means but had no luck, So, since the laptop is out of warranty and I have no problem opening and fixing my stuff from time to time, I opened up the laptop and tried unplugging the battery to see whether the charger would simply bypass this and power it on. This did not work. I also dismantled the assembly around the plug and removed it to check for any physical damage, although there was none that I could see. I also tried unplugging the battery and holding the power button, a tip I found on another post in this forum, but I doubt that would fix this.

I suspect that the actual charging jack could be damaged, although I'm hoping it's not an issue with the motherboard. I've tried to include as much detail as possible but if there's anything else helpful that I could add please feel free to ask. Thanks in advance!

Zoran

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@zoki665 , welcome to the forum.

You could try another charging cable, but I believe that there is probably some damage internally.  The one thing no computer tolerates is being dropped from any distance.  I suggest that you locate an HP Authorize Service Center or other qualified repair shop and have it checked out.  It will cost a bit, but a lot less than buying a new laptop.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@zoki665 , welcome to the forum.

You could try another charging cable, but I believe that there is probably some damage internally.  The one thing no computer tolerates is being dropped from any distance.  I suggest that you locate an HP Authorize Service Center or other qualified repair shop and have it checked out.  It will cost a bit, but a lot less than buying a new laptop.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Hey @Old_geekster, thanks for the response.

I did already try with another charger, also rated at the same 19.5V, less wattage, however the result is the same. I also took a Voltmeter to the charger and verified the output is as it should be. There's power flowing through the board, as when I plug in anything via the USB port, power is passing through. I also checked some the battery contacts and found there was electricity flowing, but without a circuit diagram that's basically meaningless.

I could see no physical damage to the board, nor were there any components rattling around, loose inside. You're probably right and something tiny bit the bullet. I'll try and find a service center near me and hope for the best. Thanks for your advice! Will update the post once they've given me a prognosis.

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @zoki665!  I would appreciate hearing the outcome. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.