Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 12 (1,659 Views)

Looking for Hard drive caddy for Omen 15t

Product Name: Omen 15t
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!  I just bought an Omen 15t notebook.  It has an M.2 SSD for its primary drive, and I'd like to add a seconardary SATA drive.  However, the notebook didn't come with the necessary caddy / cable / bracket kit to mount a drive in the open bay.  Where can I get one?

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 12 (1,647 Views)

Re: Looking for Hard drive caddy for Omen 15t

Need the full model number. Is this the new 2016 Omen or the older model?

Top Student
Message 3 of 12 (1,644 Views)

It's the new one, model 7265NGW.

Honor Student
Message 4 of 12 (1,583 Views)

Did you ever get an answer to this? I am running into the same problem

Top Student
Message 5 of 12 (1,577 Views)

Nope! But I did find that you just need a sata ribbon to connect the drive, and a bare drive fits relatively snugly in the bay. I might put a couple drops of hot glue down for safety if you're very mobile. My new drive is hooked up and working fine. Lemme know if you need a hand with more details regarding the installation!
Honor Student
Message 6 of 12 (1,572 Views)

Well i bought the 2016 Omen 15t with all the bells and whistlese and for the Hard Drive, I chose what you did, the 512Gb SSD PCIe

I was told by HP that i could do that, then call the parts department and order the Hard Drive.  When i transferred to the Parts Department, they told me that the computer was new so no parts were available???  Then gave me the number of their approved manufacturers, when i called them, they said they could get me a hard drive but they could not get me the Hard Drive Caddy/Bracket and Cable. 

I called HP back and they insisted that the Omen cannot support another hard drive, which makes no sense since they offer a SATA drive w/ a 128gb SSD PCIe.  After hours on the phone with them, the customer service rep told me that they do sell the hard drive but it was out of stock and they had the cable in stock, they said they didnt know anything about the brackets/caddy.

Looking at the manual online, I saw this

Hard drive
Description                                                            Spare part number
Hard drive
1 TB 7200 RPM SATA RAW 9.5mm               766644-005
2 TB 5400 RPM SATA RAW 9.5 mm              801808-005
Hard drive cable                                                  858969-001

So i guess the questions i have are:

1) Can the laptop support 2 SATA drives?  or only 1? 

2) Did you go with the HP sprecific replacement or can we use any 2.5" SATA drive?   Cause i would prefer a 2TB 7200 RPM if i can use any drive

3) According to the parts guy, he said they only sell the cable but it was 32bucks and that any hard drive i buy, should come with mounting brackets.  According to their Hard Drive Distributor, the hard drive only comes with the drive, nothing else.   So do i need just the cable  p/n 858969-001   or do i need the cable and mounting brackets?

If i knew it was going to be this big of a problem, i wouldve gone with the 1TB SATA 7200 RPM w/ 128gb SSD PCIe and just swapped the SSD out for a 512GB SSD PCIe from ebay for $200, at least this way i get the bracket and cable.  THey told me it would be a bigger hassle to cancel the order and reorder since the order was already in progress, even though the order was only 4 hours old. 

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  I just need to know what parts i need to get in addition to the cable, if anyone found the bracket part number or subsitute and do i have to go with the HP HD p/n766644-005 or 801808-005 or can i buy a better one somewhere else, and what parts would i need them to install in the HP laptop,  oh and did your Hard Drive come with the mounting screws?

Thanks again, i cant belive its this hard to get a hard drive from HP, they told me it wont be available for 6months

Top Student
Message 7 of 12 (1,561 Views)

Glad to help!

1.  The 512 GB SSD is actually a new form factor of drive I wasn't familiar with called M.2.  Just Google M.2 SSD to learn a little about it.  Basically it's a super slim form factor.  So, no, the Omen can't support two SATA drives, but it CAN support one M.2 drive plus one SATA drive.  I got the run around from support too when I asked about it.  Sales said I could do it before I purchased, then nobody could help me after the sale.  Typical.

2.  Any 2.5" SATA drive will do.  I bought the cheapest 1TB 7200 RPM drive off of Amazon I found.

3.  The mounting brackets are specific to the laptop.  Hard drives are uniform in design, but computer manufacturers design their brackets and caddies specific to a model.  But ordered a bracket and ribbon set for an HP Pavillion off eBay in the hopes the brackets would work.  They didn't, but the ribbon worked fine.  So my drive is installed in the bay, connected, but without any brackets.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more info.  If I had it to do again, I would've just bought it with a standard SATA drive and bought the M.2 SSD aftermarket.

Honor Student
Message 8 of 12 (1,534 Views)

Thanks for the info, I wonder if the cable from my 8 year old HP Pavilion would work too...... I had an extra hard drive in my HP Envy they took back under warranty and gave the gift card for, i was going to take the extra hard drive out but didnt have time :(

So i guess buying a bracket from an Envy or Pavilion wont work then :(    They told me it would take 6 months for parts to start becoming available to the public

Do you know if i can drop in a SSHD (Sold State Hybrid Drive) 2.5" SATA drive?  Im thinking about maybe putting in 3 or 4TB but it seems they all max out at 5400RPM. Does it matter if its SATA 1, 2 3?

Im hoping someone makes  a cheap version of the bracket soon on ebay, just annoyed that sales will tell you one thing and parts gives you the run around

Top Student
Message 9 of 12 (1,524 Views)

Any SSHD should work fine.  I think any SATA protocol should work fine. This is the cable/bracket set I bought, and the cable worked perfectly.  If you have the same cable, you should be good.

Good luck!

Intern
Message 10 of 12 (1,358 Views)

I just received my HP desktop Omen 870VX. I am looking for a hard drive caddy as well. The power cable is already there  in place and I ordered the ATA cable for the motherboard from Monoprice. Why is it so difficult to find these things?

Tom
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation