Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

As the title says, I'd like to find a way to consistently get good performance while lowering the fan speed. I've tried using Throttlestop and checking both the "disable turbo" and "speed shift epp" options (which I saw worked for another person in a different post), however I still get performance drops when in balanced mode on the Omen Command Center. I even tried undervolting the CPU in Throttlestop, however I read somewhere that this has no effect on the newer HP Omen laptops. The only way I can consistently get good FPS is to keep it in  performance mode, however the fans ramp up to max even when I set them to manual control. This is unnecessary, as the temp rarely gets above 80 C. Is there any other way to drop the fan speed, or to ensure I don't get FPS drops when in balanced mode? 

For reference, this is a brand new laptop with an i7-10750 and GeForce RTX 2060. 

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

To be clear, it runs 100 FPS on max settings in the games I play and averages in the 60s C while on balanced mode. Really I just need to find a way to keep it on balanced mode and have it not throttle the performance after a while. It regularly does this, requiring me to briefly switch to performance mode then switch back to balanced mode. 

HP Recommended

@noahs90 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that Lower Fan Speed on HP Omen 15.

There are many ways to increase FPS and system performance: 

• Update the BIOS. 

For desktop PCs, go to HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS

For notebook PCs, go to HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS 

• Update the graphics driver. 

Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, enter your PC model, then select the driver for your graphics card. 

• Most games allow you to change the graphics settings. Using a lower graphic quality often improves FPS. 

• Close any applications or programs that are not being used. 

• Turn on Game Mode. Game Mode is a new feature in Windows 10 Creators Update that improves gaming performance by limiting background processes and programs from using system resources while a game is running. 

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Drivers and bios are all up to date, and if you read my post you'd understand that lowering graphics settings is not the solution (I tried previously to verify, no change). Like I mentioned before, it averages 100 FPS on performance mode and initially on balanced mode, however the problem is that on balanced mode it quickly drops the FPS to the 30s. The only cause I can think of is some sort of throttling. The fans do not need to be as high as they are on performance mode, since it stays plenty cool on balanced mode. I'm looking for an actual solution here...otherwise I'm gonna have to return this laptop. 

HP Recommended

@noahs90

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggets you conatct our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

bro download speedfan application and post the screenshot of that(fan speed).it will be benificial for both of us as i am also facing same kind of problem.we will both work on that then.

HP Recommended

HP laptops don't support any third party apps for Manual Fan speed control.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.