Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17 an012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Omen 17 laptop came with an M.2 Port but didn't come with a screw to install one. I'd like to know what size screw I need to install my NVMe SSD? Also, what is this sticky stuff at the base of my M.2 port (see attached photo)? Do I remove it or stick my SSD to it? Why is it there?

M2 Port.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@homvox

3 mm P1 Phillips-head screw.

The solid state drive thermal pad.

This should help explain everything.

Notebook FRU Service Procedures Videos

https://h20574.www2.hp.com/Media/2E6CF052-5701-4575-9FF4-CC91C0E455CB/mar_PCPFILES/SML/FruVideo/mar_...

Click on Solid state drive.

REO

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello homvox

The m.2 screw size is 2.0 x 3mm (CM2x3-3.3)

Usually when you order one, its about the same price to get a bag of them as it is one screw only.

As far as the stuff on the metal pins of the port, I have no idea what happened there. I would carefully clean that off. Perhaps with a lint free swab and some alcohol, then let it dry off before inserting the SSD.

HP Recommended

@homvox

3 mm P1 Phillips-head screw.

The solid state drive thermal pad.

This should help explain everything.

Notebook FRU Service Procedures Videos

https://h20574.www2.hp.com/Media/2E6CF052-5701-4575-9FF4-CC91C0E455CB/mar_PCPFILES/SML/FruVideo/mar_...

Click on Solid state drive.

REO

HP Recommended

I would still clean the pins that are gunked up on the port.

HP Recommended

@Photoray002wrote:

I would still clean the pins that are gunked up on the port.

Thanks. My bad, I realize now the sticky stuff I was talking about is actually the thermal pad. Do you happen to know a good place to get some 2.0 x 3mm Phillips screws?

HP Recommended

@homvox

If you have any small computer shop near you try there.

I have thousands at the warehouse.

If you live near Saint Petersburg  Fl. let me know.

REO

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.