Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 17 (2019)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey!

I am in grave need of information, since after i sent my laptop to warranty, just to get a message that you'll need to buy a new motherboard, 650. We can't do cheaper.

I've been using this laptop for 7 months, as a work and gaming laptop, but always no more than 5-6 hours straight gaming, always had cooling at max and an extra cooling fan for gaming, like the pad you put your laptop on.

How come if I've never, NEVER poured anything on my laptop, is there some sticky goo at the gharging port of my laptop? The problem came recently, until one day my laptop stated that, when charger was plugged, a power too low has been found. This meant that the laptop charger couldn't charge enough for the laptop to gain any batter while it was working, even when only turned on. When it wasn't working, everything was fine, it charged normally. If anyone has any idea, what it could be, it would be amazing.

I have been told that trying another charger or battery didn't help either, which is a bit strange to me, since then i shouldn't have been able to even use my laptop.

If anyone has ANY clue, on how the goo got there, or what could it be, then let me know in the comments please, it helps out a lot.

Sincerely, Alex

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Alex-Sander,

I reviewed your post and I understand that you know whether there will be any glue on the charging port on the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I would like to inform you that there will be no glue on the charging port of the computer.

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

What glue? I need to know if it might be an actual error from the motherboard or there has been something on my motherboard...

HP Recommended

@Alex-Sander,

I recommend you contact support and they will be able to assist you in this regard.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

IExploded_Electrolytic_Capacitor.jpg

It sounds like you have a busted capacitor near the charging port. Caps can exploded for many reasons, back in about 2006 the industry got hit hard with a series of busted caps and it cost OEM computer companies a lot to replace the boards. Since then most companies have stopped covering busted caps.

The board can be saved but you have to find a tech willing to do it. When I had my shop I did replacement caps and ports  as did another tech friend of mine, but it is so labor intensive I stopped.

The laptop will have to be torn down to the motherboard and the board removed, each cap inspected, there should be a cap field near the charging port, one of those caps likely failed. Each cap has a Y or X pressed into the top and then a code on the side, you can find replacement caps on many auction sites. But you need good soldering skills to remove and replace and the charging port MAY need replaced. The cap and port will cost about $10 each, but the labor will take about 15 hours. So make friends will a tech with good soldering skills, but short of that I do not believe you will find someone to mess with it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.