Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 17-an012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been having battery issues with my laptop for the past 3 months. I have already replaced both my internal battery and my AC adapter. I had made sure to follow the correct replacements that HP instructed. I have reached out to the community on this matter and have still not been able to fix my issue. The original issue was that my battery was not charging. It still is not charging and now my HP diagnostics tool is saying there is no battery installed at all but the task bar clearly shows that my battery is at 32% and plugged in. It does say that my AC adapter is fine. I am just wondering what my next steps would be as I feel I have tried everything. Would a BIOS update work? I just don't know. Looking for help. Thanks 

Update: My laptop does not even recognize a battery at all now.

Update again: It doesn't recognize the battery but it can still run off of the battery...... very confused 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@HandsomeJack311,

I reviewed your post and I understand that the battery is not getting charged.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you update the BIOS from the below link and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

If you continue facing the issue, then install all the Windows update (Including optional) and test.

Here is how it is done.

1. Select the Start (Windows) button from the bottom-left corner.
  2. Go to settings (gear icon).
  3. Select the Update and Security icon.
  4. Choose Windows Update tab in the sidebar (Circular arrows)
  5. Select Check for updates. If there is an available update, it will begin downloading automatically.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response!

I tried everything you suggested... Updated the BIOS and then checked for any additional updates that I needed ... sadly nothing seemed to have worked... 

Should I try downloading all of the drivers that are on this page? https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/omen-by-hp-17-an000-laptop-pc/15551440/model/171063...

I am unsure on what steps to take next.

-HJ

HP Recommended

@HandsomeJack311

Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%. 

Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins. 

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager: 
1) In the search box, type and open “Device Manager”.  

2) Expand “Batteries”.  

3) Right-click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there.  

4) Click on “Uninstall”.  

5) At the prompt put a check in the box to remove the current driver  

6) Shutdown the computer.  

7) Remove the battery for minute and then put it back in.  

😎 When the computer comes back up it should automatically find the driver.  

9) Go to Device Manager.  

10) Expand Batteries.  

11) Right-click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there. 

12) Click "Search automatically for updated driver software"  

Do the same thing with Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller.  

Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed. 

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestion... I have tried this multiple times already and it still will not work. 

Also, my laptop will not turn on unless the AC adapter is plugged into it. After it is turned on it can use to battery to run.

HP Recommended

@HandsomeJack311,

Is the battery getting detected in Windows?

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No it is not. I'm not sure how it runs off the battery (after it turns on with the AC adapter) when windows doesn't even recognize that a battery is there. Whenever it starts up it also comes up with a prompt that says, "Battery capacity low". But it is a brand new battery. Then it will pop up with another after that saying,"No battery detected".

HP Recommended

@HandsomeJack311,

What is the version of the BIOS installed on your computer?

Below is the link to download the latest BIOS for your computer.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp100501-101000/sp100722.exe

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Screenshot_20200709-134854_Chrome.jpg

I have already updated my BOIS with the information that was provided by the HP site.

HP Recommended

@HandsomeJack311 If nothing worked, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.