Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 15-dc0003na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I used this laptop for about 3 years and i recently got the issue where my laptop would switch off during gaming. It works normally if im not gaming. After 10 mins of gaming my pc will switch off, it started of switching off after 20-30 mins of gaming but now its down to 10 mins. My pc would run at 97-95° C but then, the laptop was cleaned and new thermal paste was applied which got the temperature down to 85-75° C. The cleaning was done after the switching off but it did not fix the issue. I contacted HP but they only said help through whatsapp but then they blanked me after 3 days of help without fixing my issue.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @The_law 

I don't know that I can solve such a thing, I can only offer "suggestions".

This happens when plugged in with the power cord, right? Not just on battery only?

Did you perform the repaste or did a shop? If a shop, did you consult them after the fact?

From a Software standpoint:

Was there any software that you have installed around the time this whole thing began? Or maybe 3rd party stuff that updated at that time? For example, did you install the Intel XTU stand alone software on your machine at any time?

Have you also opened the Task manager, highlight the CPU column and see if any Services are eating up CPU when this occurs?

Also is it any game or only one particular game this happens with?

Otherwise no reason for a PC to auto shut down only because the CPU is at 85. Depending, they wont shut down at 95 either.

It might be possible in the overall scheme of things that something software related might be causing it and doing a clean reinstall of Windows will straighten things out. Its not the way to trouble shoot mind you, but if Windows has been borked, it would be the fastest way to solve it. (Many of us do this anyway after so much time goes by to clean the system and start fresh).

• You can use the MS Media Creation Tool for it if you only have an 8GB pen drive.  during the installation, choose a Custom install and delete all the partitions, then continue.
  • Or use the HP Cloud recovery and a 32GB stick. It will auto wipe the partitions and install with HP drivers.
  • Update Windows afterward, but don't add your own third party anything yet. Only install the game that causes the issue and see if it shuts off again.

HP Recommended

Just to answer the questions asked above, This happens when power cord is connected. I did the repaste myself but this was after the issue of the laptop shutting off started. I don't recall installing intel XTU stand alone. For the task manager, I tried only running the game without any other software running but it would still shut off. This happens to intense games (eg GTA 5, Tom Clancy's rainbow six siege) but games like rocket league which aren't intense run for a while before it switches off (about 1hr). I did a windows reset resetting the whole pc with all its contents and the problem persists.

Also something I noticed recently, once the laptop switches off it cannot be restarted instantly (even if the power button is pressed) it needs 4-5 mins after which it will start again. This makes me think that it's a hardware problem, more specifically a heating related problem.

HP Recommended

You tried blowing out the vents and make sure no dirt build up is blocking the vents when you repasted I assume?

The fans are turning as normal?

I have seen in some instances where a user has this issue and a reinstall of windows, clears it up. I mean, its 3 years old but only got this problem recently. Things get built up over time in windows, and I suspect something else is tweaked in a setting somewhere and its overheating when stressed. If it continues after a clean reinstall, then you have something going on with the hardware for sure.

If you do and use the MS tool version, let me know and Ill give you the links to install some of the Omen software, if you want it back.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.