Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi @xBlackFox,

I'd like to help with the computer issue.

Step 1: Change the Windows Update Services setting

Change the Update Services setting from Automatic (Delayed Start) to Manual.

1. In Windows, search for and open the Control Panel.

2. In the Control Panel search field, type services, and then select Administrative Tools from the list.

Selecting Administrative Tools

3. Double-click Services, and then double-click Windows Update to view the properties.

4. Click Stop to stop the service from running.

5. From the Startup Type drop-down menu, and select Manual, then click OK.

Selecting Manual on the Startup type drop-down menu in Windows Update Properties

Step 2: Install version 9 or 10 of the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) driver

To prepare to run the troubleshooter, make sure you have the correct version of the MEI driver installed.

1. Go to HP Drivers & Downloads.

2. Type the computer model number in the Enter your HP product name, product number or serial number box, for example, HP ProBook 645, and then click Find.

If a list of model numbers displays, select your model number from the list.

3. On the Software and driver results page, select Microsoft Windows 8.1 on the Version drop-down menu, and then click Change.

4. Download the MEI driver version 9 or 10 from the Driver-Chipset section.

If an MEI driver version 9 or 10 is not listed, download and install the appropriate driver from Intel (in English).

NOTE: 

Version 9.5.24.1790 1.5M works for most models.

5. Install the MEI driver. If you receive a dialog warning about replacing a newer version of the software, accept it.

NOTE: 

You do not need to uninstall version 11 before installing version 9 or 10. An existing version of the driver must be installed in order to install version 9 or 10.

Step 3: Run the Windows 10 Show or Hide Updates troubleshooter package

Download and run the Windows 10 Show or Hide Updates troubleshooter package.

1. Download the Windows 10 Show or Hide Updates (in English) troubleshooter package.

2. Run the troubleshooter package, and hide updates to the MEI driver.

Doing this blocks your system from automatically reinstalling or showing updates for version 11 of the MEI driver.

Step 4: Reset the Update Services setting

Use the previous steps to change Windows Update Services setting from Manual to Automatic (Delayed Start).

Step 5: Restart your computer

Restart your computer to complete the process.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hasn't been solved yet. I'll post a solution if I can find it. I've tried multiple ways to roll back the update but all of them failed. I don't know if there are any other ways.

HP Recommended

Intel ? are you sure we can use intel? My laptop used an amd chip and the link you gave which sends us to find the drivers on hp page says that it doesn't work. I don't think this still solves the problem we are facing from the new BIOS

HP Recommended

Hello @Jay_G24

the model is pavilion gaming 15 ec0005nq

HP Recommended

Aristotle,

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and downgrade the BIOS-Recovering the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

Hi Marin_zma,

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and downgrade the BIOS-Recovering the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

I've tried that as well but that doesn't work either. I'm pretty sure I've exhausted all the possible options. Please escalate this issue to the technical team and let them know about this. We request you to look deeper into this issue since this problem is completely stopping us to use the laptop for the purpose we have purchased it.

HP Recommended

Artistole,

I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region for further assistance.

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

So this is a common problem? Because i see multiple users reporting the same problem here. I also have a  HP Pavilion gamin 15 laptop and i have this same issue. I was so fed up and worried because screen would show locking when i ever i try to run a game . Hp customer support just kept giving me different troubleshooting options but nothing used to work. Finally after 4 days of continuous calling to customer care they have finally decided to send a technician to inspect the laptop(I requested a replacement) and when he comes i will show him this community forum because i just realised, I am not the only one with this issue. I hope this issue gets solved asap for all of us. I just bought my laptop a week ago. 😞

HP Recommended

If i can contact hp support, why are you even in these forms for ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.