Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 15-dc1003la
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello i just bought an Hp Omen laptop (16-dc1003la) (gtx 1660ti with i7-9750h) and when playing games it heats up to 90-97c. When playing assasins creed odyssey it reaches 97c constantly. Is this normal for a gaming laptop ? Bios and everything is updated .

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @1e_corbusier 

Sounds like you got one of the chips that runs hot. Its a common issue with these laptops.

I will give you the 3 answers/options as has been given me over my time here on the forum.

1. HP's stance is that its normal for a chip to run hot when gaming (and this is true, its gonna heat up). The chip can handle high heat or it will shut itself off when it reaches its max. Lower your game settings to lower heat.

2. Some folks are not in agreement with that statement.

An alternative is to lower the power to the cpu which will drop the heat significantly (it will drop performance some, but most users don't notice a difference). You can drop the CPU maximum processor state to between 94-99% to lower the power and drop temps. Or undervolt the CPU with a tool like ThrottleStop. We do not provide support here for such tools. You will have to go to them for help with their products.

max processor state.JPG

3. Or... take the laptop back to the store you purchased from for a different one if its not too late.

The bottom line is, its up to you how you handle it. You can try undervolting the CPU, or take it back for a different laptop. Ive seen different brands do the same thing, its not just tied to HP.  I've also seen different instances of the same models all give different temps.

HP Recommended

As i underdid many test with my omen 15-dc1020nq  it is a general issue with gaming laptops from phisical tiny vent space to air flow conditionds and stuff. also it is known that some mats used in factory are not so good. i mean you get what you pay for.  so in those conditions aside from what Photoray said, i would suggest to change the thermal paste of the chip and get a cooler stand. also make sure you installed the omen comand center and maybe you can use the fans. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.