Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360 14t-dh200 touch
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Pavilion 14t dh-200. i5 10 gen with 16gb optane. 8WL75AV_1

New laptop is freezing and making a loud buzzing noise. The only way to resolve this is to manually shut down the laptop by holding the power button, then restart. The laptop operates normally until it happens again. This happens in MS Teams and randomly. I have returned one to HP and the new one is behaving in the same way as the one returned. HP tech support is saying that it is a software issue with MS Teams and sent me to “paid” support. This happens outside of MS Teams, so I don’t think it is a software issue. The laptop passed all of the diagnostics that the HP Tech put it through.

The laptop has been updated- Microsoft and HP BIOS. The only things downloaded are MS Office with MS Teams, Zoom, and Epic Games so my son a can play Fortnite. It has only been used for web browsing, MS Teams, and Fortnite so far.

1. Has anybody else had this issue that was specific to MS Teams? I have spoke to my network administrator and she said that she has not seen this issue with the thousands of laptops that are in our district. She accessed my laptop remotely and checked everything she could and found nothing that would cause this issue.

2. Are there any “stress tests” or performance tests that might help me isolate the problem to describe it more in depth for HP tech support?

3. Any other ideas that might solve this?

I feel that HP tech support is not trying to understand this issue and is passing me off to a service, “Smart Friend” that wants to charge me for support. This laptop is now 3 days old and I do not think that I should have to pay to have an issue diagnosed by a 3rd party service. I also have the HP Care Pack for this machine.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi

I had similar issue with my nephew's HP Pavilion Gaming, it was freezing in random circumstances (although most of the time it was working fine) with the same buzzing noise. Fun fact was that it never happened during stress tests (3D Mark or HP diagnostic software started from UEFI), but one thing gave me almost 100% chance to get freeze in about 10-15 minutes. It was 'The Forest' game from steam. Whenever I launched that game and left it alone for about 15 minutes the result was always the same, laptop freeze with buzzing noise. Sometimes it happened when I was switching on/off sound using Fn+F6 shortcut. Updating driver, reinstalling Windows, updating BIOS, nothing worked. Anyway, after creating ticket at HP support site and sending laptop to HP it turned out, that motherboard was faulty. After replacing motherboard this freezing issue no longer occurs.

My advice, record videos when laptop freezes and send them to HP. If this freezing occurs in different applications, IMHO, it is hardware issue.

Good luck,

BR

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I asked the HP tech if I could send him videos and he said there was no way to do that. How did you send them to HP? 

HP Recommended

I've uploaded them to youtube and sent the links in ticket. Things I've tried before creating ticket:

- updated BIOS

- applied default settings in BIOS

- installed HP Assistant and updated all drivers

- installed all available Windows 10 updates

- reinstalled graphics cards drivers from manufacturer site (Intel UHD Graphics 630 and NVidia GTX 1650 in my case)

- reinstalled sound card drivers from Realtek site

- removed all preinstalled antivirus software (McAfee)

- tried reinstalling Windows 10 from HP recovery menu available during boot

- tried if issue still occurs with sound card disabled in Windows device manager

- tried reinstalling clean Windows 10 downloaded from Microsoft without HP software and drivers preinstalled

all of these things made no difference.

To test hardware I've tried:

- Quick and long system test in HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows

- Quick and long system test in HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for UEFI (launched during boot)

- RAM memory test available in Windows

- RAM memory test using MemTest86 bootable USB

- CPU test using Prime95 stress test

- Stress test using 3DMark

- PCMark 10 tests

None of the tests gave any issues, all tests completed successful. I've recorded some videos of examples where computer is locked, uploaded them to youtube, created ticket on HP support site with all above information and links to videos and then I've called HP support and given created ticket number. Person from HP told me that it looks like motherboard issue and asked me to send them laptop to their service center. About 10 days later I've received laptop with motherboard replaced and now everything works fine.

HP Recommended

Hiya,

Funnily enough I am having pretty much the exact same issue with my laptop during MS Teams. 

I have done all the Windows/BIOS updates but still face the same problem. I use the laptop for my studies but do also play games (mainly They Are Billions) and I have never had this issue even after hours of playing.

It only ever occurs during MS Teams meetings. The first time it happened, it was about an hour into a meeting. I had to force shutdown and restart - it happened again about 20 minutes after that.

Now, it happens every meeting at random intervals and it is becoming increasingly frustrating. (Edit - looks like I may need to send it for repair!)

HP Recommended

I have been having the same issues, buzzing and freezing. During Zoom meetings and other online meeting platforms GoToMeetings.com.. I've had my laptop for not even a month now. I'm not sure what to do or go from here. Do I returned and get another one? 

HP Recommended

I have been having this issue continuously for the past few weeks. I've done all the updates and testing possible.

The only thing that seemed to help, was if I had headphones plugged into the jack, the issue did not occur. I had more meetings while using headphones and I did not have the issue but this morning, I tried it without headphones and for 1.5 hours I had multiple issues with the unit freezing and becoming unresponsive. It got to the point where even the keyboard and trackpad were completely unresponsive and I couldn't even force restart as the power button was also unresponsive.

Aside from this issue in the morning, it seems that using headphones or having something plugged into the jack will help with the immediate problem but in the long term, I don't think that this will be suitable.

I am looking to return it (I really don't want to because the spec is wonderful but I cannot deal with these constant issues when I have work to do!) and am considering alternatives.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.