cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

No settings to disable touch protection when typing

HP Recommended
Omen 15-dh1010na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

originally asked this on SuperUser.  See there for my full investigation so far.

I cannot find a way to disable the feature that disables the touchpad after pressing a keyboard key. This particular laptop has an Elantech touchpad (not Synaptic) and there's no settings available so far as I can see, no tab in the mouse menu, etc. I've seen there's a heap of registry options but I couldn't tell you which I needed to edit and don't want to break anything!

Thanks for any help!

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, I'm still struggling with this, have I posted on the wrong forum for this type of question? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
10,366 10,367 443 695
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ch4rl1e Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you would like to disable the touchpad.

Please perform the below steps and check.

Press Windows Key + R and enter regedit. Press Enter or click OK.  

1.    When Registry Editor opens, go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTPEnhkey in the left pane.  

2.     In the right pane, right-click the empty space and choose New > DWORD (32-bit Value).  

3.    Enter DisableIntPDFeature as the name of the new DWORD and double click it to open its properties.  

4.    Select the Hexadecimal option and change the Value data to 33. Click OK.  

5.     Close Registry Editor and restart your PC.  

After making these changes in the registry, you should see the option to disable your touchpad in Mouse settings. 

Press Windows Key + X to open the Win + X menu and select Control Panel from the list.  

When Control Panel opens, go to Hardware and Sound section and select Mouse.  

1.    When the Mouse settings window opens, you should see the ELAN or Device Settings tab. Switch to it.  

2.    Locate Disable internal pointing device when the external USB pointing device is attached option and enable it.  

Click Apply and OK to save changes. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks but that isn't what I wanted to do, and I do not have HKLM/Software/Synaptics in my registry as Synaptics did not make this touchpad, Elantech ("Elan") did. 

To reiterate what I need:

There is a feature that disables the touchpad for half a second when you press a keyboard key. I want to turn this feature off.  It's usually called something like Palm Tracking, Dynamic Palm, Touch Protection, etc. etc.  

Is there anywhere I can get better support for this? I didn't spend nearly £2000 on a laptop for it have less settings and support than my 7 year old £300 laptop. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
10,366 10,367 443 695
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ch4rl1e]

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggets you conatct our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

If my solution works then please visit my site Paycheckrecords.

One way of turning off the touchpad temporarily is by turning it off in the Settings. Kindly follow the steps below to do it:

Open Setting.
Choose Devices.
Under Devices, choose Touchpad then, click the radio button under it to turn it off. Image
Just click on it again if you already want to turn it on.
If you need further further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation