Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 15 DC-1011
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP OMEN 15-DC1011 18 months old and now reporting Non-HP battery on startup.

HP PC Diagnostics Assistant reports failed battery.

The UK HP Store lists no battery for the HP OMEN 15.

So, if HP won't stock a battery for a unit under two years old where to get one?

Presumably, in addition to the inconvenience of a miserable product lifespan and the frustration of no support I get the added insult of the Non-HP battery startup message for evermore.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

After wending my way through the HP system to contact a support agent I managed to get a call back and the part number of the battery given to me (917724-855), though both the OE battery (and the new replacement) are marked SR04XL. The replacement has arrived and is now in its first charge-discharge cycle. The non-HP battery warning at boot has gone.

However, for information: -

• Yes - Windows 10 update accomplished around 72 hours prior to failure.
  • No - PC settings unchanged for approximately 6 months prior to failure.
  • No - the laptop does not switch off when AC Mains disconnected, though the battery was at 94% charge.
  • No - I did not save the the test report but the result was explicitly stated as a fail.

As for the steps, the laptop has a built-in battery and requires the (delicate) removal of the backplate in order to access the battery. Good lighting, an anti-static strap, a small container for removed screws, good quality jewellers screwdrivers and phone/laptop pry tools are required to accomplish the task.I also took the opportunity to clean the interior with some rocket air.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@DPCapt

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Did you make any changes on the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • Does the notebook shut down immediately (right after you unplug the charger)?
  • Could you please share the picture of the battery test failed report?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

• 1. Go to Start, search for Device Manager, and open this result.
  • 2. Expand batteries.
  • 3. Right-click on the ACPI option (usually the 2nd option) and select delete or uninstall. Follow the prompts.
  • 4. Shut down the computer. 
  • 5. Disconnect the charger.
  • 6. Remove the battery.
  • 7. Hold down the power button for 1 minute.
  • 8. Insert the battery only.
  • 9. Attempt to turn the battery on.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

After wending my way through the HP system to contact a support agent I managed to get a call back and the part number of the battery given to me (917724-855), though both the OE battery (and the new replacement) are marked SR04XL. The replacement has arrived and is now in its first charge-discharge cycle. The non-HP battery warning at boot has gone.

However, for information: -

• Yes - Windows 10 update accomplished around 72 hours prior to failure.
  • No - PC settings unchanged for approximately 6 months prior to failure.
  • No - the laptop does not switch off when AC Mains disconnected, though the battery was at 94% charge.
  • No - I did not save the the test report but the result was explicitly stated as a fail.

As for the steps, the laptop has a built-in battery and requires the (delicate) removal of the backplate in order to access the battery. Good lighting, an anti-static strap, a small container for removed screws, good quality jewellers screwdrivers and phone/laptop pry tools are required to accomplish the task.I also took the opportunity to clean the interior with some rocket air.

HP Recommended

@DPCapt

Thank you for posting backing 

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue with replacement battery. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

How do I order a replacement battery and where? 

HP Recommended

The HP Customer Service Agent directed me to AMAZON for the 917724-855 battery the OE was also marked  SR04XL) and several options were available, though be sure it is the 917724-855 since some search results do come up for different ones. There are other online sites which sell them.

However, if you do buy one you need to be confident that you can do the replacement yourself. I must emphasise that the backplate removal is a delicate process and I recommend that you have a quality set of laptop/mobile pry tools with which to do it slowly and carefully. There are one or two youtube videos about the removal of the backing plate and battery replacement on youtube. I advise that you watch them several times before committing to the process. Don't forget the anti-static wrist strap.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.