Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
6wC39UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Pavilion - 15-dk0051 (6wC39UA#ABA)

My sons gaming laptop would not boot.  HP diagnostics said RAM is bad. I got into the computer and took out the RAM. I was trying to verify if maybe the slot was bad by putting it onto the other slot.  However, it does not go into the other slot. It looks like there is a slot there, bit it is different.  I think this was advertised with having 2 slots.  There is not RAM for each slot, is there?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, so you take the memory in your picture where the slot does not line up with the notch and flip it over like I wrote before.

In other words, place the memory with the current label showing face down, so that label does not show.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

The picture of the motherboard in chapter 5, page 36 of the service manual shows two memory slots.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion Gaming 15 Laptop PCIMPORTANT! This document is intended fo...

The memory should be fitting in either slot the same way.

The service teardown video at the link below shows how to remove the memory starting at minute 00:49

Removing & Replacing Parts | HP Pavilion Gaming 15-dk0000 Laptop | HP Computer Service | @HPSupport ...

The video shows some kind of black plastic cover over the second slot.

HP Recommended

Well, the little notch does not line up on the other side.

HP Recommended

Yeah, I took off that black piece of tape or whatever.

HP Recommended

I don't understand the problem. 

Did you flip the memory around to see if the notch in the memory lines up with the key in the slot? 

It should line up one way or the other.

Also if you get the memory installed in the other slot, don't be surprised if it doesn't work. 

HP Recommended

I have attached two pictures.  One slot where the key lines up, and the other where it does not:

IMG_20220702_144045.jpgIMG_20220702_144021.jpg

HP Recommended

OK, so you take the memory in your picture where the slot does not line up with the notch and flip it over like I wrote before.

In other words, place the memory with the current label showing face down, so that label does not show.

HP Recommended

Bingo!  I misread flipping it over as "flipping it around" or something....

It did work in the other bay.  So I am assuming the other slot is bad or possibly it was not seated correctly in the original slot.

Thanks so much for your help!!!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad the memory worked alone in the secondary slot.

Sometimes the primary slot (the slot the memory originally was installed in) has to be populated in order for the memory to work.

HP Recommended

Well...It reverted back to the old error.  Ordering replacement now.

Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.