Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 15-ce002ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi HP community,

I own the OMEN 15 ce002ng laptop. Last week it suddenly did not work anymore. I pushed the power on button and see the red light for about 5 seconds, then the red light disappears for about 2 seconds, lights again for 5 seconds and so on. I do not hear any fan meanwhile.

Power delivery is not the problem, since the LED next to the power cable glows white all the time.

I read many posts to find out how to fix this problem and found different people writing that resetting the BIOS could be a solution or at least worth a try.

I tried to hit WINDOWS+B and also WINDOWS+V when turning on the laptop. This does not work.

Afterwards I wanted to remove the CMOS battery for more than 20 minutes. So I opend the laptop and tried to find the CMOS battery on the mainboard, but could not find it at all. Unfortunately I did not find any information about where to locate it in my specific laptop.

So I disassembled the 2 fans and the heatpipe, removed all cables from the mainboard and disassembled the whole mainboard, because I found a similar OMEN laptop having the CMOS battery on the bottom in a youtube video, but this was not the case here.

Meanwhile I'm very frustrated, since all this work took a lot of time and wasn't that easy at all.

Can you tell me, where to locate the CMOS battery of my notebook? Or do you have an idea how it looks? I did not find anything on the mainboard that looks like a CMOS battery to me.

I took pictures of the front and back of my mainboard after disassembly. I could post them, if this would help.

The designation of my mainboard: DAG3ABMBCD0

Revision: D

HP SPARE: 929486-601

Thank you very much in advance for all help in this case!

Kind Regards

Timo

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi

Start here...

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/omen-by-hp-15-ce000-laptop-pc-series/15551437/model/17062227/ma...

There may not be a CMOS/RTC battery.

if in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer.

I did not find any information about removing or even locating the CMOS battery in the "Maintenance and Service Guide".

If there is no CMOS battery, how is the laptop able to store the BIOS values? And more important for me: How can I reset the BIOS then?

HP Recommended

Hi

""red light for about 5 seconds, then the red light disappears for about 2 seconds, lights again for 5 seconds and so on. ""

Depending on the age of the PC and the BIOS vendor...
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07107

So the number and frequency may give a clue, EG:

LED blinks once.

CPU

CPU not functional

1. Re-seat the processor. NB:- See the Services Media Library for steps for your PC.

2. Replace the processor. NB:- See the Services Media Library for steps for your PC.

3. If the CPU still does not function properly, replace the Main-Board.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blinks RED 2 times, once per second, then 2 second pause, 2 beeps Thermal Shutdown: 1 Ensure the workstation air vents are not blocked and cooling fan is running. 2 Open hood, press power button, and see if processor fan spins. If not spinning, ensure fan cable is plugged into the system board. Ensure fan is fully/properly seated. 3 If fan is plugged in and seated but not spinning, then replace processor fan. 4 Reseat CPU heat sink and verify fan assembly properly attached.

Blinks RED 3 times, once per second, then 2 second pause, 3 beeps CPU not installed: 1. Install CPU. 2. Reseat CPU.

So it may not be a BIOS problem, and there is usually a capacitor and/or the main battery supports the clock.

HP Recommended

Thanks again for answering.

I had also found the linked site. But the information seems to be for desktop PCs, not for laptops. Here is the page for the laptops: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674 But this does not help, since no keys on my keyboard are blinking. It's the power button.

I can't reseat the processor, since it's soldered on the mainboard I think.

I also removed the main battery for a few hours.

Here is a link I found which made me think, the BIOS reset might be a solution:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/Omen-Laptop-Won-t-Turn-On/td-p/6908389 

HP Recommended

Hi

Without the sequence I will not / can not help anymore.

Those tables are from HP and cover many many types of PC, but not all.

Maybe others will have an answer.

HP Recommended

Ok, thanks a lot!

I hope, someone can help.

HP Recommended

Same issue here. Though I can't find the error code because there is no white light, just the red light, blinking for 5 seconds and every 5 seconds. 

HP Recommended

Hi

Well more details, like the age of the PC, the BIOS vendor, Product number etc etc.

BIOS Flashing light error codes for Computers released between 2011 and January 2015.

On some computers, the motherboard can flash or change the colour of lights on the outside of the case, such as the power button LED and the hard drive activity LED. For computers that support this technology, lights blink and provide a beep to indicate a failure condition.

LED and BEEP condition  --  Description    --   Corrective action

Power button LED blinks 5 times with 5 beeps   ---    Memory

Reseat memory DIMM modules. If the problem is not resolved, contact support to resolve a possible RAM or Main-Board failure.

HP Recommended

HP Omen 15-dc1088wm. The issue is same as the OP said. I cannot hear any beeps, or can't say how many times it blinks, it's endless once I click on the power button.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.