Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 15-ce008nt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For last couple of months I've been struggling with my notebook starting to lag after using it for a while. What I mean by lagging is stuttering for like 1-2 seconds. Usually restarting helps and I am free from those lags for another couple hours. While playing games I could notice that during a stutter my FPS drops to around 1 FPS.
From my observation the strain which a game puts on the computer doesn't matter as those lags star appearing regardless whether I play low-end or high-end game or even when I use computer to browse internet or to fill documents etc. Here you can see a short clip recorded in main menu of Doom 2016, where you can see FPS drop.

When those lags start appearing they continue to appear every several dozen minutes, indefinitely.
I've tried to monitor my computer when they start appearing using HP Command Center, Task Manager and Resource Monitor.
I attached screenshots from all of these programs taken whilst my computer was lagging. I couldn't find any process responsible for the problem even at the exact moment of a stutter. The only suspicious thing that caught my eye was a extremely short spike in activity of first core of processor at the exact moment of lag (in red circles). 

Here is an imgur album with all of my screenshots I'm referring to. 

At the beggining I've thought that this is some kind of error connected to a Windows update, but as it carried on through another and another one, I started to doubt that this is the case.

Additionally, for last 5 days I've been experiencing another weird problem - a kind of graphical error which can be seen in screen_error files. This has been appearing more and more often but I don't seem to notice it in any game, but often in internet browser, web clients like Discord, OneNote and once in Visual Studio Content Manager. I think it might be connected to an update to NVidia's drivers but it might be a coincidence.  This bug also occurred for my friend and it was caused by graphic driver. Luckily it's gone.

I've scanned my computer for viruses and tried to run every optimisation program available on HP Support Assistant. I updated my BIOS, all of my drivers etc. I haven't tried reformatting for two major reasons: It would be a huge inconvenience for my right now and the whole process would take me too long, and either way I can't access my Windows copy because I'd have to travel for it and I'm not willing to do this in current pandemic situation

I'm grateful for any help and suggestions.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@baqterya Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing an FPS drop issue and display issue.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

There are many ways to increase FPS and system performance: 

• Update the BIOS. 

For desktop PCs, go to HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS

For notebook PCs, go to HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS 

• Update the graphics driver. 

Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, enter your PC model, then select the driver for your graphics card. 

• Most games allow you to change the graphics settings. Using a lower graphic quality often improves FPS. 

• Close any applications or programs that are not being used. 

• Turn on Game Mode. Game Mode is a new feature in Windows 10 Creators Update that improves gaming performance by limiting background processes and programs from using system resources while a game is running. 

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS. 

Please update the windows update as well.

I would suggest you try creating a new user account on your computer.

Go to http://hp.care/2dWJKgW  and follow the steps to create a new user account.

If the issue still persists, please perform the system reset.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

I updated the BIOS, graphic drivers and Windows.  The graphical artefacts don't happen anymore, I put and edit to the post.

As I said it doesn't matter how I'm using my notebook so graphical settings in games don't matter. The FPS are stable as long as those lags don't start occurring i. e. I have stable 60 FPS for 2 hours, then the problem stars to show up and FPS start to drop every ~20 minutes.

Likewise, disabling background programs doesn't change anything as the problem keeps happening even when the usage of resources is very low as can be seen on screenshots I attached to the post.

It happens regardless whether I play games or use computer in any not-games-related way.

Either way, thank You for tips. I hope I won't end up having to reformat system.

HP Recommended

@baqterya 

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggest you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.