Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 16.1 inch Gaming Laptop PC 16-c0000 IDS Base Model
Microsoft Windows 11

After upgrading the BIOS to version F.12 of this laptop the power limit of 5800H CPU is locked at 45W under any scenarios even with sufficient power supply and moderate temperature.

1. I've tried resetting the BIOS but it makes no difference;

2. Downgrading the BIOS isn't a thing: version F.12 locked this option as stated in the download page. I've tried USB recovery without success;

3. Windows power plan and the mode in OMEN gaming hub are set to proper values as well.

The same issue happens to other people as well: 暗影精灵7锐龙版3070 f.12bios功耗锁45w - 惠普支持社区 - 1140174 (hp.com)

So I suppose it is an issue in the BIOS itself.

Edit: to make it easier to understand, please refer to the following screenshot showing the thermals and powers during a Cinebench R23 run.

cpu.png

It shows that the CPU is not thermal throttled by any means, and it didn't hit the 65W PPT SLOW limit for even one second. Rather, it is limited by the 45W PPT, which shouldn't be a thing in normal cases.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi i think i have the same model Ryzen 7 5800H and the RX 6600M, i updated to F.12 and my CPU us boosting to 60W some times, this is giving me temps of high 80s and 91c. Are you havinf the same overheating problems or your CPU while gaming is stable? 

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying. The temperature is totally under control. And I'm having RTX 3070 so I think we are using different models.

It is locked to 45W even under stressful tasks, for example, Cinebench or x264 transcoding.

HP Recommended

Oh ok k i understand, well maybe downgradinf the BIOS will help, use HP Support assistant so they cad do it remotely.

HP Recommended

They have withdrawn that particular BIOS update F.12 (sp136744). It is no longer available. It was obviously buggy.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, this issue still exists as of the latest F.14 BIOS upgrade. I wonder if this is a Windows 11-exclusive issue or not.

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same issue with the same model omen 16 ryzen 7 5800h and rtx 3070, my laptop is handicapped at 45W instead of 60W. Ive had the laptop for less than 2 months, bought it because of the reviews. Well, CPU performance is a lot worse than the on the reviews. The performance is more like 5600h instead of 5800h. I paid premium for the high specced version and I'm getting handicapped CPU. The temperature stays at 74 degrees and has quite a headroom.

It is with Windows 10 pro, so it is not from the windows 11.

What are you doing HP ?  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.