Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since my Post was deleted- i don't know why - I'm posting this again, because i want this laptop [edit]

, but I'm not sure because the Omen 17/15 2018 had issues with one of the two fans running very low and you couldn't control it manually. So my question is - Did you fix this problem on this Omen 17 ? Is one of the two fans still running on lower rpm ? 

And if so is there a software or hardware solution ?

Best regards and just that you know I'm saving this posts to protocol  if you are deleting it again 🙂 !

Chris

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Chris3001, please see this youtube link below, for a Gen 3 review.  It shows a new Omen Command Center that has a switch for max fan speed.   There are a couple places where he switches it on, for example at 24:48 into the video.  Is this what you're looking for?  Or do you want more of a variable control, like seen on some of the competition?  I hope Gen 2 gets this same update, since it likely needs it more than Gen 3, and Gen 2 is still being sold as new by HP online, along with Gen 3.  

Gen 3

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/bd-p/GamingNotebooks

See 24:48 into the video to see the max fan switch

HP Recommended

Hi,

thanks for your effortand replying me, but can't find your link 😉 probably mixed it up.

Looking forward to see the link. I hope for more control but honestly i dont get it why someone or some company  would limit the cooling system. And for example the fan2 is limited by design, why can't there be a better fan to buy and replace the other one ? Today i talked with hp tec guy and he said that the omen 17 gen 3 has the same fan system as gen 2 - which means one fan is around 300 RPM. This makes really no sense to me.

Greets Chris

HP Recommended

I see the link in my post, but when I tried it I can't get it to work either.

Anyway, can you do a google search for this exact text:

"2019 HP OMEN 15t - LIVE GAME AND THERMAL PERFORMANCE",

and look at the youtube video that it finds.  There is a place near the beginning where he shows the command center, but at 24:48 is where he turns the fans on to max manually, using the newly added switch.   I don't know what the actual RPM is for both fans, maybe he talks about it (I skipped around a bit, it's a long video).  

Regarding what the hp tech told you about the fans being the same as gen 2, perhaps the actual fans are very similar, I don't know, but the cooling system has changed.   The heat pipes are arranged differently and also in Gen 3 there is an additional exhaust to the side of the unit, whereas in Gen 2 the exhaust is only out the back.  So it looks like they did some more homework on what would work for the high dissipation CPUs / GPUs.    I was about to upload some pics from youtube videos, but not sure that's allowed.  So for now I'll just point you to them.

For the Gen 3 17", search for this video, and go to 4:02 into it.   You can see the additional exhaust on the side.

"New HP Omen 17t - First Look Review"

For the 15" Gen 2 cooling, search for this video, and go to 2:01 into it.

"2018 HP Omen 15 SSD / HDD and RAM upgrade - Disassembly Guide"

HP Recommended

@Chris3001, some additional info on Gen3 I think you may find interesting, and maybe make you feel better about your purchase.   And where did I find this, at Intel dot com of course.  To find it, please do a search on this phrase:

"How does OMEN stand out in the PC gaming space?"   and then select this title that shows up:

"What Makes an HP OMEN Laptop - Intel"

Here are some excerpts.  It mentions 12V 3-phase fans instead of 5V single phase, and it references the additional exhaust vent.  Seems like this flies in the face of what the hp tech had told you.   I kind of wonder if HP is waiting until they burn through their Gen 2 inventory before they start emphasizing these improvements ??   So maybe Gen 2 never will get the Max Fan button added to the Command Center.  

Gen3_intel_image.PNGGen3_text.PNG

This isn't from that same site, but shows the Max vs Auto switch on the Command Center screen, for Gen 3.

max_fan_speed_screen_Gen3.PNG

HP Recommended

Hi Huey,

thanks for your replies and effort helping me 🙂 ! I'll check that def. out. Looks like they added the max. fan option in the control center. 

I'll reply to you after i read everything and watched the videos !

greetings

Chris

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.