Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop 15t-dc100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Within the last two weeks, the WASD keys on my keyboard stopped lighting up. I figured something was wrong since whenever I hit the FN key, they flickered but It wasn't too bad. Now, they don't light up at all. I don't know if it's an actually issue with the computer, or maybe a software issue. (This is a fairly new computer, less than 6 months old, used daily, but it's gentle usage, no extreme key pressing/slamming, etc.)

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Update: they turned on for like a solid 30 seconds for the first time since they stopped working. so the lights can wor, they just aren't currently.

HP Recommended

@wynorx

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

@KrazyToad 

Hi! I want to first say thanks, but sadly, that didn't seem to solve the issue at all. :< My computer had some updates, but it seemed to mostly be audio updates. The WASD keys still do not light up.

HP Recommended

@wynorx

Run an SFC Scan to check for Windows errors and also create a New User Account and check if that helps

Link for SFC scan: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

New User Account Creation: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

If the issue persists please perform  Reset. Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

@KrazyToad 

I haven't tried the reset of the laptop, because that means, losing all my downloaded applications, and I don't have the time or wifi strength to download everything again before my school semester ends to be able to finish all work on time if I do that. But none of the other solutions worked. 

I think its some sort of wiring issue within the backlight, because now when I press certain keys (Such as SHIFT, CTRL & FN), other keys get dimmer, and that was the starting signal before my WASD keys stopped lighting up.  

HP Recommended

@wynorx

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I don't have a better experience of using such kind of brand yet. But I would like to get some more details about it. Thank you!

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, I have tried all the things you, but still no solution.

HP Recommended

This is so late, but I finally managed to reset my computer and try out all the suggested solutions, and none of them has worked. My WASD keys still do not light up, and whenever I press FN or ALT keys around WASD flicker and go off sometimes.

I think it's officially a technical issue and not a driver/software issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.