Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 17.3 inch Gaming Laptop PC 17-ck0000 IDS Base Model
Microsoft Windows 11

Configuration

•512 GB Intel® SSD + 32 GB Intel® Optane™ memory
Full-size, 4-zone RGB backlit, shadow black keyboard and 26-Key Rollover Anti-Ghosting Key technology
•32 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 16 GB)
•Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5.2 combo

•Windows 11 Home 64 ADV
•HP Wide Vision 720p HD camera with dual array digital microphones
•6-cell, 83 Wh Li-ion polymer
•Intel® Core™ i7-11800H + NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 Laptop GPU (6 GB)
•17.3" diagonal, QHD (2560 x 1440), 165 Hz, 3 ms response time

I did a Windows update 2 nights ago and it broke McAfee Antivirus protection which I purchased from the included package when the laptop shipped.  I had to uninstall McAfee entirely and do a clean install to get Windows 11 to "unsnooze" it.

Right now, the function keys aren't working.  Is this something simple to fix or, is it a known bug with this last Windows 11 update?

TIA,

Sid

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@sidpost

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8. (Refer to the removable and sealed battery)
BIOS default:(do not skip any troubleshooting steps even if you feel steps are repeating)

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and    Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@sidpost

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8. (Refer to the removable and sealed battery)
BIOS default:(do not skip any troubleshooting steps even if you feel steps are repeating)

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and    Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks.  My nephew and I will give it a try.

HP Recommended

@sidpost

Have you tried the suggested troubleshooting steps?

Is everything working fine, or would you require any further assistance? 

Keep me posted!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

At the moment it won't boot.  It was playing a game and it went to a black screen with no warning.

It wasn't overheated and it was plugged into the power brick and AC power.  There was no warning and it and it quit and won't react to the power button.  I'm trying to diagnose a possible power problem, like the power brick wasn't fully plugged in or something similar.

HP Recommended

Have you tried the suggested troubleshooting steps?

Is everything working fine, or would you require any further assistance? 

@Echo_Lake

Yes, the BIOS reset fixed the function keys.  Should I start a new thread on the power issue if the new Power Brick (we have two Omen laptops) doesn't fix it?  The one that came with this laptop isn't getting the battery charged.

HP Recommended

@sidpost

Thank you for posting back.

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the Function keys issue.  

I can help you with this power issue, I understand from your post Ac power adapter not charging the battery, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did you try another charger?
  • Does the notebook shut down immediately (right after you unplug the charger)?
  • Do you get any error messages on your notebook (Such as Plugged in, not charging, etc.)?

While you respond to that, let's try this article: Using and troubleshooting the AC power adapter

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
  • Did you try another charger?
    • Yes, 3 different chargers include one from a second Omen laptop and one from an ENVY
  • Does the notebook shut down immediately (right after you unplug the charger)?
    • It shutdown with no warning and will not boot
  • Do you get any error messages on your notebook (Such as Plugged in, not charging, etc.)?
    • The person using at the time had it plugged in but, did not note any messages regarding low power, charging, no charging, etc.
HP Recommended

While you respond to that, let's try this article: Using and troubleshooting the AC power adapter

5. Check the power port on the computer to make sure the LED is on. If LED is not on, the power adapter might not be working correctly or the notebook system board might be damaged. Contact HP Customer Support for further assistance.

The LED beside the power port is not lit with any of the three chargers I tried.

HP Recommended

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/New-OMEN-Black-screened-during-game-play-No-power-at-... 

Since this one was solved, I put the power problem under this report.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.