Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 17-an098nx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!
I have an HP omen laptop, version from 2017, model: 17-an098nx. - Motherboard: 8393 40.28. I would like to mention 2 disks that I have in my model, namely:
1.SSD: SK hynix PC401 HFS512GD9TNG-62A0A - 500GB
2.HDD: ST1000LM049-2GH172  -1TB

I am thinking of buying:
1.SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus - 2TB
2 SSD: Samsung 870 EVO - 2TB

As far as I can handle the installer, yes the question. Will the motherboard: 8393 40.28 in my laptop be able to handle Samsung drives?

Full Specs from HP support Assistant:

General specifications
Operating system
Windows 10 Home 64 bit Version: 19043.1645
Microprocessor
Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
System memory
32 GB
Memory slot 1
16GB Samsung 2400MHz
Memory slot 2
16GB Samsung 2400MHz
System board
8393 40.28
System BIOS
F.19
Video
Graphics device 1
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Current resolution
1920 x 1080
Refresh rate
120 Hz
Version
30.0.14.9709 (11.26.2021)
Audio
Device 1
Realtek High Definition Audio
State
Activated
Controller
RTKVHD64.sys
Version

Thank you in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@dSm_PL 

Its specs:

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05635102

Yes. You can add  Samsung M.2 970 and replace existing HDD with Samsung 870 SSD, perfect choice.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@dSm_PL 

Its specs:

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05635102

Yes. You can add  Samsung M.2 970 and replace existing HDD with Samsung 870 SSD, perfect choice.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Yes, I know. Samsung drives win in all SSD tests. But won't the 2TB capacities be too big for my motherboard?

I can't find the full specification of the motherboard anywhere. I only know that it has M2.Pcie 3 and SATA III. Does anyone have its full specification?
HP Recommended

@dSm_PL 

It supports more than 4TB, actually huge but physically vendors only have 2TB to 4TB on market today max. May be one day they can squeeze more bytes to smaller chips.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Cool. Thank you for your time and helpful answer.

And I want to write to people who are also considering such an upgrade. Previously, I was thinking about the Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB drive, but after searching various websites with tests, I do not advise you to buy it if you have a M2 Pcie 3 Gen connector on your motherboard. The speeds are comparable to both drives on the Pcie 3 connector. You can see a significant difference only after connecting the 980 Pro for M2 4 Gen. So if you have a 3rd gen connector on the board, it is better to invest in the 970 Evo
In my country, the Samsung 980 Pro is 50% more expensive than the 970 Evo for the same capacity. Yes, the Samsung 980 Pro is a more future-oriented model, but we must have a 4th Generation port for it. Maybe it will be useful to someone.

Thanks again for your help and the topic closes. Regards.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.