Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 15-ax003ng Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have bought a OMEN by HP Laptop 15-ax003ng (Details at the end) in 09/2016 , and when i first bought the PC, it was working very fine no problem in the games. I could even play the Games like PUBG-GTA V -Battlefield 1 etc. in high quality options, having absolutely no problem.

But all of a sudden after 1 and a half year i have experienced slow performance (freezing in  fights in FPS Games, probably FPS Drops at the times) and its got worse and worse after like 2 years i couldnt play those Games even in bad graphics quality -FPS Suddenly drops, screen freezes and wasnt having fun at all. And then i started playing games like Fortnite-FIFA but my Laptops performance got even worse i cant play Fortnite-Rocket League in worst graphics quality and low definition because of the same issues.

I tried all the solutions made the Setting all the Options i can found in High performance, FPS boost settings in NVIDIA 3D Options, deleted the bloodware, read all the Support Tickets in the same issues and tried everything i saw nothing changed.

Last day i performed a recovery due to another issue with the HP Recovery Manager(with keeping my files) and hoping maybe it will help the performance too. I downloaded Fortnite and nothing changed.

After 2,5 year i cant play any games with my ^GAMING^ Notebook and  i am so disappointed at the HP,  i wrote these things down in the german forum and a official said that i should be write theese things in english forum and didnt said anything helpful and they dont have a Support Location in near Munich that i can go and trust for a service. 

PC INFO Paper on the Box

IMG_1712 (1).jpg

My product number is actually  W6Z67EA#ABD and my PC has also 128 GB SSD Harddrive but when i look for the PC Info with the product no in the HP Website is giving me the following specs with the Prod.NO. W6Z67EA:

PC INFO from HP Website

Product number
W6Z67EA
Product name
OMEN by HP Laptop PC - 15-ax003ng (ENERGY STAR)
Microprocessor
Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ (2.6 GHz, up to 3.5 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
 Chipset
Intel HM170
Memory, standard
16 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
Video graphics
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 965M (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
Hard drive
2 TB 5400 rpm SATA
Display
39.6 cm (15.6") diagonal FHD IPS UWVA anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
Keyboard
Full-size island-style backlit keyboard with numeric keypad
Pointing device
HP Imagepad with multi-touch gesture support
Wireless connectivity
Intel® 802.11ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo (Miracast compatible)
Network interface
Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Expansion slots
1 multi-format SD media card reader
External ports
1 HDMI; 1 headphone/microphone combo; 1 USB 2.0; 2 USB 3.0; 1 RJ-45
Minimum dimensions (W x D x H)
38.2 x 25.3 x 2.45 cm
Weight
2.2 kg
Power supply type
120 W AC power adapter
Battery type
3-cell, 61.5 Wh Li-ion
Webcam
HP Wide Vision HD Camera with dual array digital microphone
Audio features
Bang & Olufsen; HP Audio Boost; Dual speakers

Software
Operating system
Windows 10 Home 64
HP apps
HP CoolSense; HP Lounge
Software included
McAfee LiveSafe™
Pre-installed software
CyberLink PowerDirector; Netflix; Unigine Valley Benchmark
Software - Productivity & finance
1 month trial for new Microsoft® Office 365 customers

Any helps and tipps are Appreciated. What should i do next?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello @Vidette 

One issue you have is the fact that the systems with the GTX 965m graphics cards requried the 150w AC adapter, not the 120w.

The assembly line made a mistake early on in production. Later the Maintence manual was changed to reflect 120w to maybe cover the mistake. As time has passed and the battery gets weaker and games get more demanding, you are seeing a drop in performance on heavy game items when playing plugged in. Its too late to inquire to have HP replace the adapter as that window closed as far as I know.

The part number for the correct adapter is

776620-001   Smart AC adapter (150W) - 4.5mm barrel connector, with power factor correction (FPC) - Requires separate 3-wire AC power cord with C5 connector.

HP Recommended

Hi,

If you performed a recovery, most likely you have an older version of Windows 10 on the PC. Try pressing WinKey+R and type winver

The latest version is 1809. So if you do not have version 1809. You can go to Microsoft page and update to the latest version by clicking on update now. (Jetzt aktualisieren)

https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/software-download/windows10

After updating Windows to the latest version, go into Settings and go to Update and Security and click on Verify for updates. Let the PC completely update, you might need to reboot a couple of times.

Next, open HP Support Assistant (you can find in start menu) and update all the drivers and BIOS, if there are updates available.

See if it changes performance.

If there is no change, I would try performing HP hardware diagnostics on the PC at boot or from Windows and see if there are any hardware failures. Try the fast test.

https://support.hp.com/de-de/document/c03560826

I would also use an application such as AIDA64 extreme (free trial) to perform a stress test and take a look at the temperatures when the notebook is under load.

https://www.aida64.com/downloads

Finally, if still no change I would try performing a clean install of the latest version of Windows 10 (not recovery) and then completely update. You can create a bootable pendrive on the Microsoft support page linked above.

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

HI @

@Photoray002 wrote:

Hello @Vidette 

One issue you have is the fact that the systems with the GTX 965m graphics cards requried the 150w AC adapter, not the 120w.

The assembly line made a mistake early on in production. Later the Maintence manual was changed to reflect 120w to maybe cover the mistake. As time has passed and the battery gets weaker and games get more demanding, you are seeing a drop in performance on heavy game items when playing plugged in. Its too late to inquire to have HP replace the adapter as that window closed as far as I know.

The part number for the correct adapter is

776620-001   Smart AC adapter (150W) - 4.5mm barrel connector, with power factor correction (FPC) - Requires separate 3-wire AC power cord with C5 connector.

I have a 150w adapter with the info in the photo, but not with the same PART NO you wrote i guess. I do almost always use the PC plugged in and the time the PC last on baterry is not much 20-30  mins maybe 15 too. Can that cause the performance Problem? And if I have a wrong Adapter is it the mistake of HP that i cant use my PC anymoreIMG_1714 (1).jpg

HP Recommended

Having a lower wattage adapter was reported by several users when that series first came out as causing lower fps during gaming. You apparently have the 150w AC adapter even though the specs show otherwise. So the wattage output shouldnt be the issue at this point.

It might be easier to skip troubleshooting and simply reinstall the OS as "Iomare" pointed out.

You can also run the HP Diagnostic tools to see if it reports any hardware issues. But I would do this first before reinstalling.

Run the Extensive tests for everything. F2 at startup will access the tools before Windows opens.

HP How to use Diagnostics

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

@iomare wrote:

Hi,

If you performed a recovery, most likely you have an older version of Windows 10 on the PC. Try pressing WinKey+R and type winver

The latest version is 1809. So if you do not have version 1809. You can go to Microsoft page and update to the latest version by clicking on update now. (Jetzt aktualisieren)

https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/software-download/windows10

After updating Windows to the latest version, go into Settings and go to Update and Security and click on Verify for updates. Let the PC completely update, you might need to reboot a couple of times.

Next, open HP Support Assistant (you can find in start menu) and update all the drivers and BIOS, if there are updates available.

See if it changes performance.

If there is no change, I would try performing HP hardware diagnostics on the PC at boot or from Windows and see if there are any hardware failures. Try the fast test.

https://support.hp.com/de-de/document/c03560826

I would also use an application such as AIDA64 extreme (free trial) to perform a stress test and take a look at the temperatures when the notebook is under load.

https://www.aida64.com/downloads

Finally, if still no change I would try performing a clean install of the latest version of Windows 10 (not recovery) and then completely update. You can create a bootable pendrive on the Microsoft support page linked above.

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

I made the updates made the driver updates and performed a stress test but im not capable of reading the results so i post the statistics to you.There were only 1-2 sudden spikes -not too high, and they go back to 0% in secs- in the CPU Throttling graphic below to. And before i started the Test when i checked the Stress GPU Box in the left upside in the photos it gave a warning that says your TDR Value is too low. I dont know what it means, maybe it gives and opinion.

stabilitytest.pngstabilitytest1.pngstabilitytest2.pngstabilitytest3.pngstabilitytest4.pngstabilitytest5.pngstabilitytest6.png

HP Recommended

Hi,

It seems like there is a problem with overheating. If you look at the picture with tab "clocks" you can see that as soon as you start the stress test the clocks of each core drops dramatically. It is normal for it to drop a little as all cores will have difficulty to stay at max for time. However, to me, it seems like your notebook is having a severe throttling issue. Maybe @Photoray002 can take a look and see what he thinks (maybe try to replicate the test).

test omen.PNG

Did you completly update the PC with HP support assistant? (Bios, drivers...)

Are the vents OK? You could also try cleaning the fans.

Did you try the HP diagnostics tests?

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

@iomare wrote:

Hi,

It seems like there is a problem with overheating. If you look at the picture with tab "clocks" you can see that as soon as you start the stress test the clocks of each core drops dramatically. It is normal for it to drop a little as all cores will have difficulty to stay at max for time. However, to me, it seems like your notebook is having a severe throttling issue. Maybe @Photoray002 can take a look and see what he thinks (maybe try to replicate the test).

Did you completly update the PC with HP support assistant? (Bios, drivers...)

Are the vents OK? You could also try cleaning the fans.

Did you try the HP diagnostics tests?

Let me know,

David

Hi again,

i made all the updates for Windows and checked for the driver updates from HP Support Assistant- it maybe did itself but when i press the Check the Updates and messages button i didnt showed any driver update that i can download and install i send an ss below too with translation in the descriptions-. I just did an Fast System Test from the Diagnostics Tool and it passed the test.

And Can I update BIOS from HP Supp. Assistant, i checked my BIOS Version it was vers. F09 and from HP website (https://support.hp.com/za-en/drivers) i found an update for BIOS with vers:F.50. I couldnt perform it because i need to Disable BitLocker Drive Encryption but in Win10 Home you cant find that option.

I have also made another Stress Test with bigger graphics and send it to you hopefully it gives u more info-and i realized that it does not show any info on Cooling fans, is it normal?-. I actually one time opened the PC Case and saw the fans werent so clean but didnt wanted to broke anything since i dont know too much about it. I will probably give this PC in Service Center soon for a clean reinstall -That can be the real Solution in my opinion- and in Service they can clean the inside Parts too.

And after all i uninstalled Fortnite and reinstalled it on SSD; it seems like i can play the game in bad graphics but its not like a smooth gaming experience its better than when it was in HDD. I just have a 128 GB SSD. And I also have Windows on it so its almost full right now and i wont be able to update in the future so thats not a solution.

Thanks for helping out, let me know what you think next David..

Regards

TemoeraturesTemoeraturesClocksClocksCooling fans where i cant see any value??Cooling fans where i cant see any value??StatisticsStatistics

This is the screen when you press "Check for Updates and M." there is an X MARK on  Analysing your system sectionThis is the screen when you press "Check for Updates and M." there is an X MARK on Analysing your system section

Last Update check is today and it says NO UpdatesLast Update check is today and it says NO Updates

HP Recommended

I see that you are showing its overheating  and such with Aida64. But I have no way of knowing what is causing it.

That bios version you have... F.09? That isnt even listed in the previous version on the drivers page.

You could try to reset the bios security and see if it will work.

You have to restart the PC and rapidly tap F10 to open the bios.

Arrow over to Security and down to Restore Security Settings to Factory Defaults.

F10 again to Save and Exit.

Then download the latest bios update from your drivers page... Bios version F.50

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp93001-93500/sp93111.exe

With the Diagnostics tests, you need to run the System Extensive Test. Fast test may not pick up anything.

Finally, like Iomare pointed out earlier, you may have to bite the bullet and reinstall Windows. If it clears up the issue, it was software related.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.