Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I have a few questions about adding an additional SSD through the second available PCIe slot that's available on my motherboard.

I just ordered the 17t customizable with a 2080 SuperCard and the 10th generation i7.

I want to use a 1 TB PCI card to hold my PC games and my VR games. And I want to use the 500 GB stock card to run my OS and the 1TB HHD to hold pictures and videos.

My question is did HP put this  extra  slot in this computer just for running RAID mode 0 or RAID mode 1?

Or can I use the configuration as a second backup hard drive with no RAID mode enabled? If so do I have to go into BIOS to make sure the RAID mode is not enebled , Will my computer automatically try to run RAID mode zero???? Or will it recognize it as a third hard drive being that I'll also have my one terabyte HHD installed?

My plan is to install the second hard drive as soon as the laptop shows up it will be a 1tb Evo 970 plus...

The other question that I was curious about ... was if I could pop out the 16 GB 2933 ram and replace it with 32 gigs of hyper x 2933 ram? Or will it cause problems with channels and speeds?

Thanks in advance for any input anybody can offer!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@backpacker617 

>>> did HP put this extra slot in this computer just for running RAID mode 0 or RAID mode 1?

You can use RAID or standalone drive. You did not ask for RAID when ordering the machine.

>>> Will my computer automatically try to run RAID mode zero????

No, you have to set it up, some machines have RAID 0 setup preset, they have 2 drives but using RAID 0.

>>> if I could pop out the 16 GB 2933 ram and replace it with 32 gigs of hyper x 2933 ram?

As long as you run compatible RAM, then no problem. If you wish to install 32GB, it is much better to save times and money is to buy same specs of existing RAM.

Enjoy your new toy for Christmas 2020.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Awesome thanks you so much for the help!

I really appreciate it!

Would you happen to know what ssd PCIe cards are used in the 2020 omen 17custom build?

I am just curious what they benchmark at.

Thanks again.

Symon

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.