Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 15 dc1001na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Omen 15 dc1001na Stand/Riser Advice

I'm planning to use the above laptop's screen as a second monitor and would like to put it on a desk riser stand to have the screen at eye level.

The problem is that the front edge is a wedge shape which looks like it will slip over the lip of most stands/risers and fall (seems most have a lip of about 0.6".) It looks like I need one with a lip of about 0.8" or so, in order that the laptop doesn't just slide down and off the stand.

I'm looking for something with good ventilation too and which is safe/sturdy as I have a 4 year old and don't want it collapsing down and chopping off his fingers (I've read that the Amazon Basics one is dangerous in this respect).

Any stand suggestions that have a large lip and safe sturdy well-ventilated build would be welcome. (I'm not interested in cooling pads).

Anyone have something/able to suggest something like this which is available in the UK?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@DTW1 

AmazonBasics Ventilated Adjustable Laptop Stand

If this is the unit of concern...

I have three of these in use at the moment - no four year old children around.

Excellent product for adults - sturdy, adjustable, completely ventilated, "somewhat" portable.

I looked a the underside / inside - because it is all mesh (reinforcements all edges), I would think you could use some sturdy wire to secure the stand in the position it is to be used.  It would take a few minutes to weave the wire into place so the stand would not be easily adjustable afterwards - or just feed the wire through the u-shaped parts where the support rests and secure - choose the positioning before adding wire...

Other words of caution - the edges are not sharp nor are they curled - grabbing on too hard to the wrong area would be painful.

If you are considering this or any stand that causes concern, consider bolting it to the desk (depending on style, this might be easy or more difficult to accomplish).  Caveat:  Bolting anything directly onto an antique family heirloom might be out of the question.

This stand is perhaps not good idea if your four year old is likely to sabotage the setup, of course.  Some children this age are notoriously adventurous.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur 

Very nice. I was typing and after seeing @DTW1 does not like cooling pad I deleted my reply. I actually put my Omen on a dead cooling pad,

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. I don't think the Amazon Basic one would be suitable for safety reasons and I dont want to bolt anything to the desk, I'm looking for something similar to the Rain Design mStand, or Griffin Elevator, E.g. a tall, simple stand, but the lip on these look too small to stop the Omen 15 falling off because of the wedge design of the laptop, most stands seem to be aimed at thin straight laptops like the Apple laptops. I've been searching for hours and would welcome any further stand suggestions available in the UK

HP Recommended

@banhien 

I have actually had more than the three of these stands - I left one at the cabin (in the computer cabinet) when we sold the property.  Smiling.  I gave another to a family member. 

I also mis-read our customer's post the first time.  I had a nice dissertation written about these stands - and then checked back to see this is the one stand the customer does not want.  Classic "bummer".

I have used cooling pads (we do still have one under one older 17" notebook at the moment - I do like that cooler).

I can run ZBook 17 hard (I've posted its capabilities) - Zbook running at capacity does throw off a lot of heat - I have never worried that any of that heat is captured by the stand due to blocked areas.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@DTW1 

You are welcome.

Not having anything useful to offer, I shall withdraw.  Smiling.

Good Luck.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.