Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
HP Recommended
Omen 15-en1013dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an Omen 15-en1013dx with AMD 5800H/RTX 3060 and I cannot get it to upgrade to windows 11 x64.  It always fails at the same place with a GSOD stating failed to write to read only memory.  Strangely enough my AMD desktop fails in the exact same place when attempting to upgrade to windows 11 pro.

I have the latest bios and drivers on it and it passed the MS pc health check utility which is why WU offered 11 to me early.  Have any of you had the same issue and were you able to get around it without doing a clean install?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@HRPuffnstuff 

Probably please don't jump to a new boat. Wait for support from HP (probably from AMD) .

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>
HP Recommended

I ended up clean installing 11 onto my machine last night which does go smoothly once completed.  I had to let WU get all of the drivers for me until I installed geforce experience and logged in and then it brought me the latest gpu driver. 

I had an issue with the MS servers not recognizing my pro key which played havoc since I was running bitlocker forcing me to enter the recovery key each time I booted until I could get their server to activate my pro install then I removed bitlocker encryption.  I would suggest that you disable it before you upgrade to prevent this from happening to you.

Once I get everything back the way I want it I'm going to do the same thing on my desktop as for some reason the installer cannot seem to just update pro installs.  I even contacted MS support and the guy tried to tell me that all upgrades go to home only which made me LOL as their own literature states you upgrade to the same level you are running.

HP assistant and its companion app installed from the windows store so no worries there.  Hope this helps someone.

HP Recommended

FYI every single AMD machine I've tried to upgrade fails in the same way forcing me to do a clean install on them.  I tried it on a coworkers Lenovo Legion 5 with 5600H/rtx 3050ti and it also failed at the same point but we left it on 10.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.