Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I am having an issue with the cpu running at 97C when playing civilization 6 while plugged into the AC. It does not run anywhere near that temperature when just running off of the battery (it then runs in the 70s to low 80s. I have updated drivers and the BIOS and ran all the diagnostic tests. I did notice the cpu runs at or above 4Ghz when plugged into the AC and the processor itself is 2.6Ghz. It states closer or below that when not plugged into AC. Help someone please. I've had this issue since day 1, laptop is only like 3-4 months old.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Owlette0925,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is overheating when the charger is connected.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Have you tested with an alternate power adapter?

Meanwhile, I recommend you restore the BIOS defaults and check if it helps.

Here is how it is done.

1. Backup and save important information on your computer, and then turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer, and then click F10, until the BIOS opens.

3. Under the Main tab, use the up and down arrow keys to select Restore Defaults.

Figure : Restore Defaults

Image: Restore Defaults
  4. Select Yes.

Figure : Load Defaults

Image: Load Defaults
  5. Under the Main tab, use the up and down arrow keys to select Save Changes and Exit.

Figure : Save Changes and Exit

Image: Save Changes and Exit
  6. When prompted, click Yes to save changes and exit.

Figure : Click Yes

Image: Click Yes

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My BIOS screen looks nothing like what you have shown 😕 I have a blue backround screen and cannot find anywhere I can click to restore defaults. 

HP Recommended

@Owlette0925 Greetings from the HP Community!

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Click here for steps to resolve overheating issues, you could try reducing the resolution on the in-game settings and switch the windows settings to performance rather than visual effects to make a minor change, however, the game may heat up your PC, hence make sure you are using a cooling pad as well, to be on a safer side.

Here's how you change windows settings:

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings.
  • Type performance > choose to Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
  • In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance.
  • click Apply and Ok...this should do the trick.

I must let you know that its normal for a gaming PC to heat up, and with an CPU it supports up to 100°C.such as the one you have (2.6 ghz), there's nothing to worry about, for details on why you don't need to worry,

I'll need the information on which product you've got, to go through the CPU specifications, if you wish to check the heat your device can handle, look under Tjunction of the CPU, 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.