Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN Laptop - 15-ek0005na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have been using my Omen 15 (2020 edition) for a few months now, without issue. I installed the Nov 2020 BIOS update this evening and after the update completed I logged into windows (no issue here) at which point I noticed that the machine did not detect the USB-C connected multiple displays. (which have also been working since I setup the laptop).

I restarted the laptop and logged in again only to hear a sizzle and pop and could smell burning plastic, the laptop lost power and switched off. It no longer switches on and is clear that there is a component level failure. I only hope this is limited to the motherboard and has not impacted the PCI SSD drives and memory as well.

P.S. Its Sunday, so will only be able to log a support ticket tomorrow morning. It is also Christmas week, so I am concerned that the repair for this is going to take much longer given the time of the year.

Does anyone know if this is an isolated situation or have others experienced similar hardware failures post the Bios update?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Nadirkhansa

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is not powering on.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you contact support and they will be able to assist you in this regard. It is difficult to say what part is gone bad until the unit is checked physically.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.