Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
15-ax033dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello, i have an omen 15 with an i7-6700HQ and GTX960m 4GB w/ 16GBs of 2133mhz hyperx RAM and i currently have windows 10 on a samsung 850 evo and 3 distros of linux on a silicon power 256 gb nvme ssd. i have a spare crucial p1 1tb m.2 nvme ssd laying around and i want to put it in my omen as a boot drive and to replace both drives, with it hosting all 4 OSs on it. Will this be fine without issues? Ive heard my BIOS or laptop will only accept m.2 drives 500GBs or less, is this true? thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

thank you, and for anyone curious I decided to do it bc i had nothing to lose and had several other ssds laying around too, and i was surprised to find that everything worked flawlessly. I used macrium Reflect Free to clone both drives, and when inserted into said new spots all 4 OSs were intact. 2 boot load for Kali and Parrot OS(Linux) disappeared, however using the ubunto grub boot loader I was still able to make them boot and its not tedious. As for the 1TB NVMe ssd in the M.2 drive bay, the entirety of the drive is detected and functional. What I did: cloned windows 10 Home from a 2.5 in Samsung 850 evo 500gb to a crucial p1 1tb m.2 nvme ssd, and clone 3 linux OSs from a silicon power 256gb m.2 nvme ssd to a Kingston a400 240gb sata 3 ssd. All 4 operating systems work without issues, even though this shouldn't have even worked. If anyone plans on doing something like this just remember to keep a backup or image of your OS(s) in case something does go wrong during or after the process.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

i want to put it in my omen as a boot drive and to replace both drives, with it hosting all 4 OSs on it. Will this be fine without issues?

No guarantees on all those OS's. You would have to experiment and see.

Ive heard my BIOS or laptop will only accept m.2 drives 500GBs or less, is this true?

Never heard of such a thing. That series Omen came shipped with up to a 512GB M.2 drive. But that does not reflect a capacity limitation. You can install a 1TB M.2 drive just fine. If the bios does not recognize the 1TB drive, there may be a fault in that drive.

HP Recommended

ok thank you. I have some other questions regarding the bootloaders and drive swaps. I now wan to add a kingston A400 ssd to host linux OSs only, and i plan on cloning the 850 with windows 10 to my crucial p1 nvme ssd and my SP 256 gb ssd to the kingston, and in turn the windows 10 drive will go from the 2.5 in drive bay to the m.2 drive bay, and the linux drive will go from the m.2 drive bay to the 2.5 in drive bay. will i have to reinstall, correct, or fix in some way the OSs(any of them) as a result of the BIOS and/or bootloaders unable to properly location the MBRs of the respective OSs?

HP Recommended

I always recommend a clean install and Windows should be installed first. Especially with what you're doing.

The HP software can always be added without using a clone if you want it. Let me know if you have questions on that.

Yep, things will change as far as boot info, but I don't do support for Linux, so you would have to go to the Linux Forums for questions about boot loaders for their specific setups. If Linux has to be loaded as Legacy Bios setting and not UEFI, then you might have issues, not sure.

They will have to tell you.  Sorry I cannot help further on that subject.

HP Recommended

thank you, and for anyone curious I decided to do it bc i had nothing to lose and had several other ssds laying around too, and i was surprised to find that everything worked flawlessly. I used macrium Reflect Free to clone both drives, and when inserted into said new spots all 4 OSs were intact. 2 boot load for Kali and Parrot OS(Linux) disappeared, however using the ubunto grub boot loader I was still able to make them boot and its not tedious. As for the 1TB NVMe ssd in the M.2 drive bay, the entirety of the drive is detected and functional. What I did: cloned windows 10 Home from a 2.5 in Samsung 850 evo 500gb to a crucial p1 1tb m.2 nvme ssd, and clone 3 linux OSs from a silicon power 256gb m.2 nvme ssd to a Kingston a400 240gb sata 3 ssd. All 4 operating systems work without issues, even though this shouldn't have even worked. If anyone plans on doing something like this just remember to keep a backup or image of your OS(s) in case something does go wrong during or after the process.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you were one of the lucky ones. 😀

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.