Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen an107ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everybody,

does the Omen 17 laptop have a seperate CMOS battery on the motherboard (a button cell maybe?) or does the laptop battery itself function as the RTC/BIOS battery?

I've seen another customer question on this site (concering an Omen 15 laptop) where someone said that the BIOS battery is integrated with the laptop battery.

If this is not the case, I would like to know if the replacement of the CMOS battery on the motherboard is covered by the usual 1 year battery warranty by HP?  I've bought the laptop back in July 2019. January 2020 was when my laptop battery died (since then I could only boot with the power adapter plugged in). And now, the CMOS has completely died.

I would appreciate any help, thanks 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Daniel-kun,

The Maintenance and Service Guide doesn't mention an RTC (CMOS) battery for this device so yeah, the battery should most likely act as the CMOS battery.

If you're experiencing an issue you believe to be associated with the functions of the CMOS battery, you can most definitely contact HP support and receive help although it seems like you're just dealing with a failing battery. They'll help you with any hardware replacements, if necessary.

Contact HP Worldwide here.

Phone HP Worldwide here.

Check warranty status here.

Find an HP Authorized Service Center near you here.

Hope that helps.

Please Accept as Solution if this answered your question.

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @Daniel-kun,

The Maintenance and Service Guide doesn't mention an RTC (CMOS) battery for this device so yeah, the battery should most likely act as the CMOS battery.

If you're experiencing an issue you believe to be associated with the functions of the CMOS battery, you can most definitely contact HP support and receive help although it seems like you're just dealing with a failing battery. They'll help you with any hardware replacements, if necessary.

Contact HP Worldwide here.

Phone HP Worldwide here.

Check warranty status here.

Find an HP Authorized Service Center near you here.

Hope that helps.

Please Accept as Solution if this answered your question.

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

I've finally got a replacement battery and can now indeed confirm that the laptop battery also powers the CMOS. Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.