Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 17-W105NF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I've recently noticed that my gaming laptop (is not running games as smoothly as it should have (i.e 20-30 fps instead of 50-60 fps). I ran a test on User Benchmark, which said my PC is performing way below expectations:

UserBenchmarks: Game 15%, Desk 20%, Work 16%
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ - 13.6%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 (Mobile) - 19%
SSD: Samsung MZNTY128HDHP-000H1 128GB - 55.5%
HDD: HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5" 1TB - 21.9%
RAM: Hynix HMA851S6AFR6N-UH 2x4GB - 40.4%
MBD: HP OMEN by HP Laptop

Why is my laptop, equipped with a GTX 1070m, not performing as it should? What can I do?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @OverlyDD 

I can offer my opinions the best I can since I don't have your machine in my hands to look at.

Your UserBenchmark also stated you have a lot of processes running in the background eating up at least 30% of CPU.

High background CPU (30%). High background CPU reduces benchmark accuracy. Find active processes with Windows task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC)

1. Have you went into the Task Manager and disabled all that stuff?

2. What is your CPU temperature when gaming/benchmarking?

3. What game is also lagging now?

Considering your machine is over 3 years old now, I assume you have installed/uninstalled a lot of stuff over that time.

You might do well (as others do every so often) to simply clean reinstall Windows and start with a clean slate. This will eliminate all the junk you have running in the background or have accumulated.

Update the OS before installing anything else. Then add the game in question and see how it runs. If you decide to do this and need help, let me know.

You could also run so UEFI Diagnostics for the hardware and see what it comes up with.

Rapidly tap the F2 key at power-on and boot into the diagnostics menu. Run the Extensive test while plugged in.

If its not there, you can install the Windows version and run that.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp99001-99500/sp99236.exe

HP Recommended

Hello Photoray002,

Thanks for your reply. I'll try running a new test after checking CPU Usage in Task Manager.

The game currently lagging is Shadow of the Tomb Raider. According to online benchmarks, with a 1070m GPU and a decent processor, it's supposed to run at 70+ FPS on the highest settings, which is why I started questioning my PC's performance.

I did a fresh install of Windows 10 no more than 4 months ago. However, all my games are on the D:/ partition, which remained untouched during the process.

I'll run an UEFI Diagnostics tonight and get back to you. 

HP Recommended

OK thanks. With that older Omen model, you will have to run a tool like HWMonitor and look at the temps for the CPU/GPU.

It will give 3 columns for the current, min and max. The max will always be high, but we need to know the current temps while gaming. You might have to run your game in Windowed Mode if it can, so you can look at the temps.

Here is the download for the Zip file which is the Stand Alone version... https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.41.zip

And  as I pointed out, your Benchmark results say you have too many things running while testing. You need to find those startup items (for example) and disable them.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.