Did you mean: 
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Omen 17t-cb1000 SATA hard drive performance bad

HP Recommended
Omen 17t-cb1000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently received my (23rd Dec) my Omen 17t-cb1000 to replace my 4 year old OMEN by HP Laptop - 17-w047nr which for some reason started blue screening. I use this high performance laptop to run virtual machines in VMware.  I moved the vmware images from the the SATA drive on my old machine to the 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA on new.

Starting and stopping VMWare image on this new machine would take up to 3 mins compared to 15 seconds on my old OMEN.  Once all the images were saved and vmware closed down it could take another 3 mins to shut the laptop down.

I move one of the image I was using to the SSD drive and as expected it was lighting fast. I did a side by side comparison to my old and new machine and the new was considerably slower when using the SATA drive 

My conclusion is that the SATA drive in the new OMEN was considerably slower than it should be or fault in some way.  Has anyone had any similar issues.

Attempted to resolve with Tech support (Case number 5059219169 ) with no resolution. Actually they were no help at all, no suggestions on what the issue might be.

I purchased this new OMEN in order to improve performance however due to SATA speed  I looked to return this new OMEN only to be informed that I would be charged $208.50 for the pleasure of doing so as it was custom build and therefore they would not be able to resell the product.

To tell the true I would have preferred not to return but to perhaps have work with tech support or anyone  to resolve the issue even if that meant replacing the SATA dive with TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD at cost to myself. or part cost at least which would have hopefully improved the performance.

As it is on Monday I will be returning the laptop and looking to reorder the same one with the 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD with a hope this will improve performance,  although I am now thinking maybe its time to move away from HP who I have used for my last 3 laptops and printers given I will have already paid $208.50, It takes over a month from order to get our purchase and  and support (this is the first time I have used) is awful. 

Interested to hear if anyone else has had similar experiences. 

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation